1. Describe the differences in per-capita and total energy use in the tribal, imperial, and commercial worlds. Explain how these differences are related to size of population and their significance for human well-being and cultural sustainability.
2. Describe the distinctive features of capitalism as a world system and mode of production and distribution, in comparison with tribal and pre-capitalist systems.
3. Describe the distinctive features of capitalism as ideology and cosmology in comparison with tribal and pre-capitalist systems, identifying points at which capitalist belief may conflict with reality.
4. Identify the crucial elite-directed cultural processes and the unique historical circumstances that produced capitalism and the commercial world.
5. Describe the increase in English poverty as the commercial world was developed, identifying the key causal factors, and make comparisons with household well-being in the tribal and imperial worlds.
6. Describe the evidence for elite direction in the development of the British colonial empire.
7. Describe the evidence for elite direction in the development of the postcolonial global commercial order since 1945.