1) What percent of the world’s people were living in the World Bank’s High Income ($12,736+ per capita) rank in 2014:
- a5 percent.
- b20 percent.
- c55 percent.
- d75 percent.
2) The 1972 Club of Rome "Limits to Growth" study projected a collapse of the global system due to unsustainable growth in consumption before CE:
3) Archaeologist Fekri Hassan takes a power and scale perspective on global sustainability problems, suggesting they are best viewed as caused by:
- a“clash of civilizations” as between East and West, or Muslims and Christians.
- cconflict between competing nations.
- ddisparity in wealth and power.
4) Approximately how many people were killed by political rulers during the wars, genocidal massacres, and internal oppression during the twentieth century (more than the population of the entire world in 500 CE):
- a2 million.
- b20 million.
- c200 million.
- d2 billion.
5) By 2014, after more than six decades of international development effort, the proportion of the world’s people in the world considered to be living in middle to low human development by the HDI:
- ahad dropped to just 5 percent.
- bhad increased to about 25 percent.
- chad remained about constant at 80 percent.
- dhad reached about 50 percent.
6) When the United Nations began its campaign to improve the human condition, development experts assumed that global poverty was caused by:
- afaulty child rearing practices.
- binequalities of power and wealth found at global, national, and local levels.
- ca "culture of poverty."
- da vicious cycle of disease, ignorance, and poverty.
7) Anthropogenic biomes:
- aundisturbed tropical rain forest.
- bregions defined by human population density, settlement, and land use.
- cnatural eco-regions defined by rainfall, elevation, and plant cover.
- dglobal regions defined by core and periphery.
8) Credit Suisse’s Global Wealth Report 2015 shows that the 34 million HNWI adults in the super-elite tip of the global wealth pyramid hold what percent of global net worth:
- a3 percent.
- b10 percent.
- c45 percent.
- d75 percent.
9) In 2014, the Fifth Assessment Report (AR5) of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), based on many years of research by hundreds of scientists from throughout the world, reported finding:
- ano evidence of global climate change.
- bunmistakable evidence of global warming caused by human activities.
- cslight increases in mean global temperatures and elevation of sea level, all consistent with natural climatic fluctuations that have characterized the past 10,000 years.
- dno evidence that global commercial development could have any impact on global climate.
10) In 1943, anthropologist Leslie White proposed that evolutionary progress and adaptive success could best be measured by:
- athe amount of energy harnessed per capita per year.
- bmoderate uses of renewable energy.
- cprofligate use of nonrenewable energy.
- dgrowth in total population.