1. Describe the main climatological and biological features of the Amazon environment that distinguish this region from temperate environments.
2. Explain why the Amazon rain forest has global importance for humanity.
3. Assess the traditional ecological knowledge of indigenous Amazonian peoples.
4. Describe shifting cultivation in Amazonia and explain why manioc is so important.
5. Describe the environmental and cultural factors that shape settlement patterns and population density in Amazonia and evaluate the relative importance of each factor.
6. Evaluate the evidence for affluence and environmental sustainability in tribal Amazonia and explain the cultural conditions that make affluence possible.
7. Compare the social organization and belief systems of Amazon villagers with Australian Aborigines, identifying and explaining the most important similarities and differences.
8. Distinguish between raiding and feuding in the tribal world, and war in the imperial and commercial worlds.
9. Discuss the significance of gender roles and sex in Amazon village life.
10. Outline and interpret the main features of Amazon cosmologies.
11. Discuss how Amazonian peoples were impacted by the commercial world and how they have responded.