1. Explain how state courts differ from federal courts. Why do we have so many different court systems?
2. What is the jurisdiction of limited, general, and appellate courts?
3. What is the jurisdiction of the Supreme Court? How does a case get to the Supreme Court? Does the Supreme Court hear every case that reaches it?
4. Explain why the Gideon case was important.
5. What is meant by “rough justice”? Is this real justice?
6. Most district courts are said to deliver assembly line justice. What does this mean? Why do you think this is the justice delivered? Is this justice?
7. Describe the composition of the Supreme Court. How important is the background—race, class, gender, and religion—of the justices? Explain your answer.