1. Identify and describe the five goals of sentencing. What is the common phrase that expresses each goal of sentencing?
2. Explain the difference between general and specific deterrence. How does the goal of restitution differ from the goal of rehabilitation?
3. Describe the three central models of sentencing. Identify which goal of sentencing associated with each model. Identify who holds discretionary power in each model.
4. Contrast determinate sentencing and indeterminate sentencing. Which goals are associated with each form of sentencing and why?
5. What is sentencing disparity? Explain liberal and conservative positions against indeterminate sentencing.
6. Identify at least three ways that judicial discretion has been limited through sentencing reforms. How does each reform limit judicial discretion?
7. What were the impacts of Furman v. Georgia and Greggs v. Georgia on the constitutionality of capital punishment? Describe the bifurcated trial and guided discretion statutes.
8. Identify changes in the rate and use of incarceration from 1970 to 2000. How have these changes impacted African American and Hispanic males?
9. Explain the change in U.S. sentencing policy for drug offenses within the past twenty years. What is the 100:1 ratio? How have these changes impacted minorities and women?
10. Explain the rationale for Kemba Smith’s sentence under the federal sentencing guidelines. Describe the collateral damages this form of justice could have on the minority community.