1. Identify the five stages of the criminal justice system.
2. Describe the discretionary decisions made by justice professionals at each stage of the justice process.
3. Describe the role of the citizen in the justice process.
4. Define the term “selective enforcement of the law.” Why is selective enforcement of the law inevitable? Why is selective enforcement of the law desirable?
5. Describe the wedding cake model of the justice system. Identify a typical case for each “tier” of the wedding cake. What feature of the justice system is represented by this model?
6. Describe the justice funnel and how it operates. What key feature of the justice system is captured through the use of the “funnel” metaphor?
7. Contrast and compare the “assembly-line model” with the “obstacle course model.” What values does each of these models represent?
8. What is the dilemma of discretion? What challenges does this dilemma pose for the justice system and our wider society?
9. What is the role of the media in the justice process?
10. What is the ideal of expressive justice? How does it impact the politics of crime control?