1. Define the concept “social problems.” Explain what the term “social problems” means to you. What are the top five social problems facing the United States?
2. What would you consider to be the top five social problems facing the world?
3. Provide an example of an objective social problem and explain why you believe it to be an objective social problem. Provide an example of a subjective social problem and explain why you believe it to be a subjective social problem.
4. Is it deviant to be unemployed? Explain your answer by using the five different perspectives (definitions) of deviance.
5. Is it possible for a family of four to survive on $24,251, a figure one dollar over the 2015 poverty guideline threshold? Is it possible for a single person to survive on $11,771, one dollar over the 2015 poverty guideline threshold? Be sure to consider all costs, including rent/mortgage, food, and so on.
6. Is obesity a subjective or objective social problem? Explain your answer.
7. What are the pros and cons of embracing being overweight and obese? Be sure to reference box 2.2 with your answer.