1) When Nixon’s profanity was revealed in Watergate tapes, it conformed to voter opinions that politicians are unseemly.
2) Mail to the president
- ais answered by top-level aids.
- bis randomly sampled by the postmaster general.
- cis unrepresentative of broad public opinion.
- dmostly remains unanswered.
3) No president has maintained steady approval ratings for two terms.
4) Scholars find evidence for rally effects
- donly in defensive wars.
5) Valence issues are risky instruments for presidents to increase their public approval.
6) Rally events raise public approval of the president mainly because
- apresidents have the opportunity to look presidential.
- bthe president symbolizes the nation as a whole.
- cpeople don’t want to hurt success by opposing the president.
- dall of the above
7) Presidents deny they use polls to help make decisions.
8) Public reactions surprised the White House for all of the following EXCEPT
- aNixon’s decision to bomb Cambodia.
- bReagan’s tax cuts.
- cClinton’s proposal to lift the ban on homosexuals in the military.
- dTrump’s firing of James Comey.
9) Which of the following is most likely to reduce a president’s approval?
- aA wide gap between expectations and performance
- bA natural disaster
- cInitiating a war
- dEntering office with an economy already in recession
10) Presidents Clinton, Bush, and Obama used polls most frequently to
- aevaluate whether to pursue their campaign promises.
- bdetermine policy priorities.
- crecruit potential volunteers.
- ddetermine how to frame policies for maximum popularity.