1) Asking Congress for input on policy legislation can dilute the president’s policy agenda.
2) Of the following, which word best characterizes institutions?
3) The Bureau of the Budget advises presidents on legislation and executive orders, among other matters.
4) All of the following are examples of institutions EXCEPT
- agovernment bureaucracies.
- ca sitting senator.
- dthe military.
5) Which of the following has been most criticized for violating separation of powers?
- aPolicy czars
- bSecretaries of defense
- cDiscretionary units
- dChiefs of staff
6) The reliance of some presidents on national security advisors has led to all of the following EXCEPT
- acoordination of foreign policy.
- bresentment of state department leaders.
- ctheir use as public spokespersons.
- drepresentation of diverse views at security briefings.
7) The primary job of the communications and press office is
- asummarizing the news for the president.
- bscheduling cabinet official speeches.
- cidentifying how to present policies to the press.
- didentifying potentially dangerous leaks of information.
8) All of the following presidents initially suffered from a weak chief of staff EXCEPT
9) Franklin Roosevelt was the first president to have a chief of staff.
10) Before the Bureau of the Budget, Congress
- acompiled requests for spending to the Treasury Department.
- bnegotiated directly with individual departments.
- capproved or voted down presidential budgets.
- ddrafted its own budget for individual agencies.