1) Democracies are more inclined to pursue policies that
- afavor only the rich.
- bfavor large state-run industries.
- cgenerate artificial supply and demand.
- dproduce broad-based economic gains.
- efocus on wealth redistribution.
2) East Asia has higher levels of economic equality compared to Africa and Latin America because of
- aa more equitable distribution of farmland.
- bprior colonial influences.
- ca larger number of White settlers.
- dgovernment programs modeled after those implemented in the Philippines.
- elocal socioeconomic classes with access to television and other media.
3) Globalization advocates note that countries with the most improved standards of living
- aare Western nations.
- bare most intensely integrated into the global economy.
- chave economies based on oil production.
- dreceive substantial amounts of foreign aid.
- eare members of the United Nations.
4) Dependency theory incorrectly asserted that developing nations could foster economic growth only by
- apopulation growth.
- bincreasing exports of natural resources.
- ceconomic stimulus through military spending.
- dpartnerships with developing nations.
- ereducing their ties to the capitalist core.
5) Which of the following countries is NOT one of the four Asian tigers?
- aHong Kong
- eSouth Korea
6) Somalia, Ethiopia, and Sudan have all fought wars
- aon the basis of gem and mineral rights.
- btriggered by disputes over pollution generated by neighboring countries.
- caimed at gaining control of waterways.
- dlinked to channels of grain distribution.
- elinked to water and land rights.
7) Import-substituting industrialization (ISI) backfired in Latin America because it led to
- athe inability to meet demand for exports.
- breliance on domestic sources of credit.
- can oversupply of unskilled laborers.
- ddependence on imported capital goods, foreign technologies, and credit.
- edomestic consumers' demand exceeding supply.
8) Between 1992 and 2007, by what percent did greenhouse gas emissions in the United States grow?
9) The concept of zero growth or limited economic growth
- ais favored by Asian and African nations but not by Latin America.
- bwould make pollution mitigation unnecessary if it were implemented.
- cis totally unacceptable to the developing world.
- dis primarily advocated by conservative economists.
- ewas the basis of the Kyoto Protocol.
10) East and Southeast Asian countries chose a strategy of export-oriented industrialization (EOI) because of
- atheir small populations and limited domestic market.
- ba desire to market products to Latin America.
- can oversupply of agricultural products.
- dpressure from hostile neighboring nations.
- ecorrupt government officials.