1) Globalization advocates note that countries with the most improved standards of living
- aare Western nations.
- bare most intensely integrated into the global economy.
- chave economies based on oil production.
- dreceive substantial amounts of foreign aid.
- eare members of the United Nations.
2) Which of the following countries is NOT one of the four Asian tigers?
- aHong Kong
- eSouth Korea
3) Somalia, Ethiopia, and Sudan have all fought wars
- aon the basis of gem and mineral rights.
- btriggered by disputes over pollution generated by neighboring countries.
- caimed at gaining control of waterways.
- dlinked to channels of grain distribution.
- elinked to water and land rights.
4) Dependency theory incorrectly asserted that developing nations could foster economic growth only by
- apopulation growth.
- bincreasing exports of natural resources.
- ceconomic stimulus through military spending.
- dpartnerships with developing nations.
- ereducing their ties to the capitalist core.
5) Democracies are more inclined to pursue policies that
- afavor only the rich.
- bfavor large state-run industries.
- cgenerate artificial supply and demand.
- dproduce broad-based economic gains.
- efocus on wealth redistribution.
6) Between 1992 and 2007, by what percent did greenhouse gas emissions in the United States grow?
7) Import-substituting industrialization (ISI) backfired in Latin America because it led to
- athe inability to meet demand for exports.
- breliance on domestic sources of credit.
- can oversupply of unskilled laborers.
- ddependence on imported capital goods, foreign technologies, and credit.
- edomestic consumers' demand exceeding supply.
8) East Asia has higher levels of economic equality compared to Africa and Latin America because of
- aa more equitable distribution of farmland.
- bprior colonial influences.
- ca larger number of White settlers.
- dgovernment programs modeled after those implemented in the Philippines.
- elocal socioeconomic classes with access to television and other media.
9) The concept of zero growth or limited economic growth
- ais favored by Asian and African nations but not by Latin America.
- bwould make pollution mitigation unnecessary if it were implemented.
- cis totally unacceptable to the developing world.
- dis primarily advocated by conservative economists.
- ewas the basis of the Kyoto Protocol.
10) East and Southeast Asian countries chose a strategy of export-oriented industrialization (EOI) because of
- atheir small populations and limited domestic market.
- ba desire to market products to Latin America.
- can oversupply of agricultural products.
- dpressure from hostile neighboring nations.
- ecorrupt government officials.