1) Which of the following countries is NOT one of the four Asian tigers?
- aHong Kong
- eSouth Korea
2) Dependency theory incorrectly asserted that developing nations could foster economic growth only by
- apopulation growth.
- bincreasing exports of natural resources.
- ceconomic stimulus through military spending.
- dreducing their ties to the capitalist core.
- epartnerships with developing nations.
3) East and Southeast Asian countries chose a strategy of export-oriented industrialization (EOI) because of
- atheir small populations and limited domestic market.
- ba desire to market products to Latin America.
- can oversupply of agricultural products.
- dpressure from hostile neighboring nations.
- ecorrupt government officials.
4) The concept of zero growth or limited economic growth
- ais favored by Asian and African nations but not by Latin America.
- bwould make pollution mitigation unnecessary if it were implemented.
- cis totally unacceptable to the developing world.
- dis primarily advocated by conservative economists.
- ewas the basis of the Kyoto Protocol.
5) Import-substituting industrialization (ISI) backfired in Latin America because it led to
- adependence on imported capital goods, foreign technologies, and credit.
- bthe inability to meet demand for exports.
- creliance on domestic sources of credit.
- dan oversupply of unskilled laborers.
- edomestic consumers demand exceeding supply.
6) Globalization advocates note that countries with the most improved standards of living
- aare most intensely integrated into the global economy.
- bare Western nations.
- chave economies based on oil production.
- dreceive substantial amounts of foreign aid.
- eare members of the United Nations.
7) Democracies are more inclined to pursue policies that
- afavor only the rich.
- bfavor large state-run industries.
- cgenerate artificial supply and demand.
- dfocus on wealth redistribution.
- eproduce broad-based economic gains.
8) East Asia has higher levels of economic equality compared to Africa and Latin America because of
- aprior colonial influences.
- ba more equitable distribution of farmland.
- ca larger number of white settlers.
- dgovernment programs modeled after those implemented in the Philippines.
- elocal socioeconomic classes with access to television and other media.
9) Between 1992 and 2007, by what percent did green gas emissions in the United States grow?
10) Somalia, Ethiopia, and Sudan have all fought wars
- aon the basis of gem and mineral rights.
- btriggered by disputes over pollution generated by neighboring countries.
- caimed at gaining control of waterways.
- dlinked to channels of grain distribution.
- elinked to water and land rights.