1) Democracies are more inclined to pursue policies that
- afavor only the rich.
- bfavor large state-run industries.
- cgenerate artificial supply and demand.
- dfocus on wealth redistribution.
- eproduce broad-based economic gains.
2) The concept of zero growth or limited economic growth
- ais favored by Asian and African nations but not by Latin America.
- bwould make pollution mitigation unnecessary if it were implemented.
- cis totally unacceptable to the developing world.
- dis primarily advocated by conservative economists.
- ewas the basis of the Kyoto Protocol.
3) Which of the following countries is NOT one of the four Asian tigers?
- aHong Kong
- eSouth Korea
4) East Asia has higher levels of economic equality compared to Africa and Latin America because of
- aprior colonial influences.
- ba more equitable distribution of farmland.
- ca larger number of white settlers.
- dgovernment programs modeled after those implemented in the Philippines.
- elocal socioeconomic classes with access to television and other media.
5) Dependency theory incorrectly asserted that developing nations could foster economic growth only by
- apopulation growth.
- bincreasing exports of natural resources.
- ceconomic stimulus through military spending.
- dreducing their ties to the capitalist core.
- epartnerships with developing nations.
6) Between 1992 and 2007, by what percent did green gas emissions in the United States grow?
7) Somalia, Ethiopia, and Sudan have all fought wars
- aon the basis of gem and mineral rights.
- btriggered by disputes over pollution generated by neighboring countries.
- caimed at gaining control of waterways.
- dlinked to channels of grain distribution.
- elinked to water and land rights.
8) East and Southeast Asian countries chose a strategy of export-oriented industrialization (EOI) because of
- atheir small populations and limited domestic market.
- ba desire to market products to Latin America.
- can oversupply of agricultural products.
- dpressure from hostile neighboring nations.
- ecorrupt government officials.
9) Globalization advocates note that countries with the most improved standards of living
- aare most intensely integrated into the global economy.
- bare Western nations.
- chave economies based on oil production.
- dreceive substantial amounts of foreign aid.
- eare members of the United Nations.
10) Import-substituting industrialization (ISI) backfired in Latin America because it led to
- adependence on imported capital goods, foreign technologies, and credit.
- bthe inability to meet demand for exports.
- creliance on domestic sources of credit.
- dan oversupply of unskilled laborers.
- edomestic consumers demand exceeding supply.