1) Counterproliferation is a well-established and often practiced option to deal with nuclear proliferation.
2) A window of fear exists when leaders make the calculation that:
- athey cannot win a war but feel forced to go to war
- btheir country will be the target of a terrorist attack
- cthey will be overthrown by a foreign invasion
- deconomic sanctions will cripple their economy
3) Operation Ajax was a CIA covert operation to:
- aremove Fidel Castro from power in Cuba
- bremove Jacobo Arbenz from power in Guatemala
- creturn Chiang Kai Shek to power in China
- dreturn the Shah to power in Iran
4) Which of the following is a correct statement about the future of COIN in U.S. military strategy?
- aCOIN is now an essential part of U.S. military strategy against cyber terrorism.
- bCOIN is a central element of the air-sea battle concept.
- cCOIN is seen as a distraction from the military’s core mission by many in the Pentagon.
- dCOIN ceased to be a U.S. military strategy after Gaddifi was removed from power in Libya and civil war broke out.
5) The conflict in the Ukraine is an example of hybrid warfare.
6) Which of the following is not commonly defined as a weapon of mass destruction?
- anuclear weapons
- bchemical weapons
- ccyber weapons
- dbiological weapons
7) A window of opportunity refers to a situation in which leaders make the calculation that:
- athey can win a large war
- bthey can negotiate an arms control agreement
- cthey can deter a war
- dthey can overthrow a hostile government in another country
8) A Cyber Security Treaty:
- ahas been signed but not yet ratified by Congress
- bis currently under discussion
- chas been advanced by a coalition of neutral countries but rejected by Russia, China, and the United States as impractical
- dis not yet a subject of international arms control talks
9) Upon leaving office, President Barack Obama announced that U.S. combat missions in Afghanistan would not end until 2025.
10) U.S. military involvement in Afghanistan began following the 1979 Soviet invasion.