1) When people search for feedback and collect information about themselves, it is called
2) When thoughts and action programs are separated from consciousness temporarily, they may be referred to as
3) According to Greenwald, beneffectance (self-serving attribution bias) is the tendency to
- awork effectively.
- bdo good deeds.
- cview the world as a good place.
- dtake credit for good things and avoid blame for bad things.
4) The ego has been compared to a(n) ________ by Greenwald.
5) A defense mechanism that involves perceiving or attributing one’s own negative motivation to someone else is
- berror of commission.
- csocial comparison.
6) Repression involves
- athe motivated nonperception or forgetting of unpleasant material.
- bthe turning back of maturation, such that the individual becomes more immature.
- cthe seeing in others of one’s own negative characteristics.
- dthe drawing into consciousness of mental contents that are unpleasant.
7) Suppression means
- arepressing something a second time.
- bconsciously blocking out unwanted thoughts.
- cdenying that an action took place.
- dcombining motivations.
8) Powers suggested that personality was controlled through
- aa hierarchy of feedback loops.
- bparallel neural networks that communicated through transpositioning themselves.
- cfeedback loops that operated in parallel at a single level.
- dan intricate communication system that rested on serial processing.
9) According to Hilgard, a characteristic feature of the hypnotic trance is that personal planning is
- bheightened in its reality contact.
- crestricted to the present or past.
10) An unconscious defense mechanism that involves channeling undesirable motives, such as aggression, into socially acceptable pursuits, such as being a butcher or surgeon, is
11) If the personality system no longer exerts self-control—if it becomes destabilized, or if the conscious self can no longer govern the rest—the personality system
- aexhibits less OCD.
- bdegenerates into a disorganized, relatively nonoperative collection of functions.
- cbecomes more flexible and less rigid.
- dbecomes spontaneous and fun-loving.
12) Feedback about the self can be regarded as
- anegative information about the self.
- blooping from the other to the self.
- cinformation about a current feature or condition of the self.
- dnone of the above.
13) Hypnosis was discovered by ________ who thought it had to do with ________.
- aMesmer; magnetism
- bCharcot; hysteria
- cBraid; sleep
- dFreud; repression
14) A defense mechanism that involves hiding one’s unacceptable motive (e.g., aggression) by embracing the opposite motive (e.g., love) is
- dreaction formation.
15) Dynamics of self-control usually begin with some real or perceived involvement of
- aunconscious agency.
- bsocial presses that require a change of action.
- cbiological needs.
- dthe conscious self, ego, or conscious executive.