1) According to the study done by Diener and Seligman, happy college students differ from depressed and normal college students in that
- athe happy students rarely thought about suicide.
- bthe happy students reported having more happy emotions than sad emotions almost every day.
- cthe happy students could recall more positive events.
- dall of the above
2) Mood scales were first developed by
- amood researchers to test the FACS approach.
- bCarl Jung to test his theory of archetypes.
- cpsychologists working for pharmaceutical companies, so as to test how psychiatric drugs altered mood.
- dintelligence researchers to assess anxiety in test-takers.
3) Which of the following tests employs test items that involve direct questions that individuals must answer about themselves?
- aThematic Apperception Test
- bIQ test
- cMotivation Analysis Test
- dnone of the above
4) The Facial Affect Coding System (FACS)
- ais software that allows computers to express emotion.
- bwas developed by Ekman in order to create a standardized method to recognize the emotional language of the face.
- cwas a nonscientific idea developed at around the same time as phrenology—that the face could reveal crucial cues as to personality.
- dnone of the above.
5) One of the dimensions measured by Eysenck’s personality inventory was
- bhigh-low intelligence.
6) The Thematic Apperception Test is a measure of motivation that consists of a series of pictures. People respond by
- asorting the pictures from those they like most to those they like least.
- banswering a series of four multiple-choice questions that follow each picture.
- cdescribing their positive feelings and emotions.
- dtelling a story with a beginning, middle, and an end.
7) Eysenck’s factors seem to describe dimensions of personality that are centrally
8) Freud believed the primary motivations of people were
- ato approach life and avoid death.
- bsex and aggression.
- cachievement, power, and intimacy.
- dlove and esteem.
9) Emotions are sometimes said to ________ motivations.
- bamplify and/or diminish
10) According to today’s evolutionary psychologists and biopsychologists, the ________ is a brain system that is associated with anxiety, sadness, and other negative emotions.
- abehavioral depression system (BDS)
- bbehavioral personality system (BPS)
- cbehavioral inhibition system (BIS)
- dbehavioral facilitation system (BFS)
11) Urges, instincts, and motives
- aall concern a person’s tendencies to act toward particular aims or goals in life.
- bcannot be measured.
- care very recent concepts (e.g., introduced in the last 20 years).
- dare unrelated concepts.
12) Different occupational and psychiatric groups illustrate different emotional patterns. For example, salespeople on average are
- aextraverted and neurotic.
- bintroverted and emotionally stable.
- cextraverted and average emotionally (neither stable nor unstable).
- dextraverted and emotionally stable.
13) High affect intensity people
- areport more intense positive and negative emotions relative to others.
- bhave higher and more intense experiences of negative emotions than average.
- chave higher happiness than others, on average.
- dhave more emotions than motives.
14) A given motive is often enhanced by an emotion or emotional profile. Which motivation-emotion pair goes together?
15) In a study of people from different nations, happiness was found to be influenced by one of the following factors
- aextreme poverty.
- dnone of the above.