1) Flow states involve
- athe merging of action and awareness . . . the transformation of time, and other properties.
- ba sense of control and loss of self-consciousness.
- cclear goals and feedback.
- dall of the above.
2) ________ is the self-conscious exertion of mental effort to perform an act.
- bSubjective realism
3) Freud’s ego
- apossesses consciousness.
- bcontrols movements of the body.
- csupervises itself.
- dall of the above.
4) Strict determinism is found
- ain scientific thought only.
- bin both religious and scientific thought.
- cin neither religious nor scientific thought.
- din religious thought only.
5) Self-determination theory is concerned with
- ahow much the self acts in accordance with its own desires versus how much it acts in accordance with outside pressures.
- bthe ways in which a person might give birth to him or herself.
- cthe self as a causal agent of the person.
- dthe existence of free will.
6) The internal, subjective experience of what it is like to be someone is called
- dreflective awareness.
7) Consciousness can be thought of as
- athe aroused opposite of tiredness.
- boff-limits to serious scientists.
- cknowledge that is shared and “listened to” among personality’s parts.
- dthe agentic exertion of will.
8) The many religious and philosophical traditions of the world generally
- aagree that free will exists.
- bare split on the question of whether free will exists.
- cagree that a person’s life is determined.
- dalmost never address the issue of free will.
9) ________ are the contents of conscious experiences—the sounds, sights, thoughts, and urges that pass through our conscious awareness.
- cQualia (singular, quale)
10) With which of the following statements would a strict determinist AGREE?
- aMost phenomena cannot be explained in theory.
- bThere is such a thing as free will.
- cFree will doesn’t exist.
- dFree will only exists in consciousness.
11) A(n) ________ is an organized sub-personality that organizes together various functions and operates in partial autonomy from the whole.
- dmental model
12) The assumption that all mental events—including subjective states—are caused by some set of physical events or another, and that they also have a subjective, mental quality of feeling to them, is called
- asubjective realism.
- cthe free-will position.
13) According to Freud, unacceptable urges, feelings, and ideas reside in the
- ccollective unconscious.
14) James identified the conscious self most closely with
- apersonal conscious awareness.
- bone’s material possessions.
- cmental models of the self.
- dnone of the above.
15) In a “flow state,” people are
- atotally involved in what they are doing.
- btotally involved in all aspects of their lives.
- cespecially aware of their environment.
- doften quite self-conscious.