1) Poverty can have a significant effect on people’s health, behavior, and emotional development.
2) ________ emphasizes differences in cultural influences across countries or cultures of the world, while ________ focuses on racial, ethnic, and cultural group differences within a single nation.
- across-ethnic psychology, cross-cultural psychology
- bmultiethnic psychology, cross-ethnic psychology
- cmulticultural psychology, cross-cultural psychology
- dcross-cultural psychology, multicultural psychology
3) What is facial diversity?
- aan individual's preferential standing in the world, regardless of effort or performance
- ban individual’s roots, heritage, descent or place of birth
- cusing variations in people’s physical characteristics, like skin color or national origin, as proof that multiculturalism exists
- da socio-political characteristic that defines communities and nations
4) The Pew Research Center (2015) reported that multiracial individuals accounted for approximately ______ of the population in 2015.
5) Why is it important to consider within-group differences?
- athe consequences are limited, and therefore, merit little consideration
- bstudying within-group differences works to dismantle stereotypes
- cwithin-group variabilities do not affect people’s behavior
- dwithin-group differences assign generalized characteristics to all members of a racial group
6) What have been some of the inadvertent consequences of a multicultural society?
- abicultural and multicultural identities
- cintolerance, discomfort and irrational fears of foreigners
- dall of the above
7) A study by Okagaki Sternberg (1993) found that Hispanic parents tended to define intelligence in their school-aged children in terms of social competence while Asian Americans and White parents emphasized cognitive skills. Teachers, reflecting the values of white culture, rewarded children in terms of their cognitive skills, ignoring social competence. The intelligence assessment conducted by the teachers lacked ________.
- aa priori
- bcultural competence
8) The most frequently spoken languages in the U.S. are English, Spanish, Chinese, German, Korean, Tagalog, Vietnamese, and ________ (Ryan, 2013).
9) Speaking a language other than English always results in less fluency in English.
10) ___________ exhibit the highest dropout rate among 16-24-year-olds (Musu-Gillete et. al., 2016).
- aAsian Americans
- bAfrican Americans
- cAmerican Indians and Alaskan Natives
11) Why is it important to study multiculturalism in the United States?
- amulticulturalism improves psychological research
- bmulticulturalism promotes interest and compassion for the human conditions of diverse groups of people
- cmulticulturalism contextualizes behavior
- dall of the above
12) The stereotype known as ________ is a racial group that is uniformly, financially, and academically successful and well-adjusted.
- aModel Minority
- cwhite privilege
13) ________ is the analysis of multiple factors interacting with each other.
- ainterdisciplinary studies
- dethnic studies
14) Economic deprivation during early childhood development (Duncan, Brooks-Gunn, & Klebanov, 1994) can cause___________ and ___________.
- apoor cognitive development, social maturity
- bincreased cognitive development, increased physical maturity
- clower risk for depression, inferior parenting skills
- dgood psychological well-being, high risk for depression
15) Race, gender, socioeconomic status and ethnicity can impact rates of persistence in school.