1) Ethnicity and race have the same meaning and can be used interchangeably.
2) Which of the following statements is TRUE regarding ethnic assessments and labels?
- aethnic assessments aptly describe most people’s heritage
- bmost ethnic labels take into consideration multiple ethnicities
- cthe limitations of choosing one ethnicity does not reflect heterogeneity that exists in this country
- dethnic assessments consider both ethnocultural roots and race
3) Which of the following statements best reflects the concept of external dimensions of culture?
- athe external dimensions of culture are the social structures and institutions in which culture is expressed within societies
- bthe external dimensions of culture are the attitudes, beliefs and values expressed by an individual
- cthe external dimensions of culture are the explicit rules regarding social engagement
- dthe external dimensions of culture include the value placed on personal independence and other behaviors
4) Delicadeza is an example of a ________.
- acultural value
- bracial dimension
- cethnic value
- dcultural dimension
5) Dominant groups do not determine the standard cultural norms and values of society.
6) _______ and ______ play important roles in Latino patients’ recovery from disabilities through the emotional and social support received.
- aethnocentrism; individualism
- bculture; race
- callocentrism; familialism
- dsocial norms; familialism
7) U.S., Canadian, and German societies tend to exemplify ________.
- aindividualistic cultures
- bindependent construals of the self
- ccollectivistic cultures
- dcollectivistic self
8) The elite class in the United States constitutes _____ of the total population yet holds about _____ of the total national wealth.
- a1%; 38%
- b98%; 1%
- c20%; 80%
- d60%; 6%
9) Ethnic group memberships are ______.
- aacquired at birth
- bascribed at a late age in life
- cachieved and interpreted
10) The disparity between payment of work of women and men is an example of a ________.
- asocial system
- bsocial class
- cethnic class system
- dstratified system
11) Why have researchers gained an interest in studying Whiteness?
- aresearchers have yet to study Whiteness or whites as a ‘cultural’ group
- bresearchers recognize that individuals whose skin color is light, ‘white,’ share experiences that differ from others whose skin color is darker
- cstudying Whiteness makes a mockery of other cultural groups
- dresearchers recognize that studying Whiteness has little impact on the construct of ‘race’
12) Which of the following is NOT a construct studied in psychology?
- aclinical depression
13) Which of the following statements best defines the concept of race?
- aa socially constructed concept based on prevailing social and political attitudes
- ba person’s origin, heritage, or descent that is associated with a birthplace of self or an ancestor’s birthplace
- ca social group’s distinct self of belonging as a result of culture or heritage
- da person’s country of birth
14) Which of the following statements best reflects the concept of an “out-group?”
- agroups that are subjected to approval
- bgroups membership based on loyalty
- cgroups that are subjected to disapproval and are less desirable
- dgroup membership focused on a common identity
15) Cultural differences and preferences for certain values are important in predicting physical and psychological health.