1) Which of the following statements best defines the concept of race?
- aa socially constructed concept based on prevailing social and political attitudes
- ba person’s origin, heritage, or descent that is associated with a birthplace of self or an ancestor’s birthplace
- ca social group’s distinct self of belonging as a result of culture or heritage
- da person’s country of birth
2) Which of the following statements is TRUE regarding ethnic assessments and labels?
- aethnic assessments aptly describe most people’s heritage
- bmost ethnic labels take into consideration multiple ethnicities
- cthe limitations of choosing one ethnicity does not reflect heterogeneity that exists in this country
- dethnic assessments consider both ethnocultural roots and race
3) Delicadeza is an example of a ________.
- acultural value
- bracial dimension
- cethnic value
- dcultural dimension
4) Which of the following statements best reflects the concept of external dimensions of culture?
- athe external dimensions of culture are the social structures and institutions in which culture is expressed within societies
- bthe external dimensions of culture are the attitudes, beliefs and values expressed by an individual
- cthe external dimensions of culture are the explicit rules regarding social engagement
- dthe external dimensions of culture include the value placed on personal independence and other behaviors
5) _______ and ______ play important roles in Latino patients’ recovery from disabilities through the emotional and social support received.
- aethnocentrism; individualism
- bculture; race
- callocentrism; familialism
- dsocial norms; familialism
6) U.S., Canadian, and German societies tend to exemplify ________.
- aindividualistic cultures
- bindependent construals of the self
- ccollectivistic cultures
- dcollectivistic self
7) The disparity between payment of work of women and men is an example of a ________.
- asocial system
- bsocial class
- cethnic class system
- dstratified system
8) Which of the following is NOT a construct studied in psychology?
- aclinical depression
9) The elite class in the United States constitutes _____ of the total population yet holds about _____ of the total national wealth.
- a1%; 38%
- b98%; 1%
- c20%; 80%
- d60%; 6%
10) Ethnic group memberships are ______.
- aacquired at birth
- bascribed at a late age in life
- cachieved and interpreted
11) Dominant groups do not determine the standard cultural norms and values of society.
12) Why have researchers gained an interest in studying Whiteness?
- aresearchers have yet to study Whiteness or whites as a ‘cultural’ group
- bresearchers recognize that individuals whose skin color is light, ‘white,’ share experiences that differ from others whose skin color is darker
- cstudying Whiteness makes a mockery of other cultural groups
- dresearchers recognize that studying Whiteness has little impact on the construct of ‘race’
13) Cultural differences and preferences for certain values are important in predicting physical and psychological health.
14) Ethnicity and race have the same meaning and can be used interchangeably.
15) Which of the following statements best reflects the concept of an “out-group?”
- agroups that are subjected to approval
- bgroups membership based on loyalty
- cgroups that are subjected to disapproval and are less desirable
- dgroup membership focused on a common identity