1) Terry, a second generation American, believes the United States should have more restrictions that limit the number of immigrants entering the country and believes that all current immigrants should only speak English instead of their native language. Where does Terry fit in the Interactive Acculturation Model?
2) The phenomenon of ________ facilitates personal mobility across borders and the sharing of cultures and values through music, electronic media, and education.
3) Which of the following scholars created a model that demonstrates three reactions that an individual has to the acculturation process, including deciding how much of the culture one will retain, the behavioral shifts that come with acculturation, and the acculturative stress?
- aRichard Bourhis
- bAlejandro Portes
- cJohn Berry
- dNancy Foner
4) Bilingualism has been known to promote greater acceptance of cultural differences, optimism, innovative thinking and risk taking.
5) Which of the following statements best reflects the outcome of downward assimilation?
- adivergent levels of acculturation between parents and children of different generations
- bshowing little interest in maintaining the culture of origin or learning a new culture
- cexperiencing less racial or ethnic discrimination than previous generations and having positive experiences in the labor market
- dexperiencing lower levels of personal stress due to acquisition of cultural characteristics of the dominant culture
6) Which term describes when a host country or community expects minority members to give up their heritage culture in order to join the dominant culture?
7) Segmented assimilation implies the complete internalization and acceptance of new cultural values and behaviors.
8) The ________ hypothesis suggests that members of a second and higher generation groups exhibit poorer mental health not because they are less strong or able to withstand acculturative stress, but because they experience the brunt of discrimination in our society.
- asocial stress
- bselective migration
- cselective stress
- dsocial paradox
9) Which of the following statements reflect the process of acculturation?
- aat the end of the U.S.-Mexico war, Mexicans that resided in states acquired by the U.S. were exposed to the European American culture and had to adapt to the new learning experience
- bHumberto works for Apple and visits Hong Kong for weeks at a time for marketing meetings and is learning how to behave in culturally appropriate manners during his meetings with his peers in the Hong Kong office
- cSkyler is studying abroad in Madrid, Spain and is becoming accustomed to greet her hosts with two kisses on the cheek, as is the Spanish custom, so as to not offend her hosts
- dall of the above
10) The ________ argues that acculturation is a complex process that occurs at multiple levels and that is experienced by both the host culture and immigrant groups.
- aSocial Context Model of Acculturation
- bTwo-Dimensional Acculturation Model
- cUnidirectional Model of Acculturation
- dRelative Acculturation Extended Model
11) Differential patterns of acculturation that produce intergenerational conflicts in the family and in some cases cause behavioral problems in second generation is called ________.
- amutuality acculturation
- bdissonant acculturation
- dremote acculturation
12) Latinos that have lived the longest period of time in the United States show an increased preference for mass media in English than in Spanish (Alcaley et al., 1987-1988). This is an example of ________.
- bremote acculturation
- dremote enculturation
13) Research has shown that first generation Mexican immigrants living in the U.S. have a mental health status that is similar to Mexicans living in Mexico, while second generation Mexican Americans exhibit poorer mental health conditions.
14) Orishas, a hip-hop group that fuses Cuban and Caribbean rhythms with American rap, demonstrates a cultural manifestation known as ________.
15) Which of the following is an acculturative strategy that involves less stress on an individual that maintains their heritage culture and identity, while still valuing other cultures?