1) Socially constructed racial categories and identities are tied to health outcomes. For example, racial discrimination can have a negative impact on an individual's physical health.
2) Serafin used to get bullied for being a dark-skinned immigrant from Oaxaca, Mexico and it caused him a lot of stress, but now he finds pride in his ethnic heritage and is unbothered by the people that try to put him down. Serafin is experiencing __________.
- alow private regard
- cidentity foreclosure
- dachieved ethnic identity
3) Which of the following terms refer(s) to the extent to which your ethnicity is an important part of your life?
- bin-group attitudes
4) Which of the following best reflects the term intersecting identities?
- aa homogenous description of an individual’s identity
- bmultiple closely linked identities that interact in a way that contributes to an individual's life experience
- cidentities that do not interact or contribute to unique life experiences
- didentifying with only one minority status
5) ________ is an individual’s self-perceived social position in society.
- asocial class
- bobjective social status
- csocioeconomic status
- dsubjective social status
6) Which of the following terms is a subjective sense of membership and belonging that includes your attitudes, beliefs, knowledge, feelings, and behaviors?
- aracial identity
- bclass identity
- cmultiracial identity
- dethnic identity
7) Gender attitudes are not affected by race and gender interactions.
8) Racial identity is linked with self-esteem through a set of race-related beliefs and emotional responses that individuals are socialized into during their development known as _______.
- aracial identity schemas
- bcultural socialization
- clatent constructs
- dethnic behaviors
9) Which of the following statements best reflect a correlation between social class and health?
- athe disadvantages and stressors felt by low SES ethnic and racial minorities lead to poor health and a shortened life span
- binstitutionalized racism does not prevent racial minorities from accessing health resources
- cethnic and racial minorities do not somatize their stress from discrimination and poverty
- ddiscrimination has no impact on SES or health
10) Which of the following best defines the components of commitment and attachment to an ethnic identity?
- alabels and categories that people use to describe their membership in an ethnic group
- bseeking information and experiences about your ethnic heritage
- cparticipating in behaviors and practices associated with your ethnic group
- dan individual's sense of belonging and emotional ties to their ethnic group
11) Racial, ethnic, class, and gender identities are based on biological and genetic factors.
12) Benjamin, a Mexican American adolescent male, states, “My parents tell me about where they lived, but what do I care? I’ve never lived there.” Benjamin is experiencing ______.
- aidentity foreclosure
- cidentity diffusion
- dachieved identity
13) During which developmental stage do individuals begin to develop an ethnic group consciousness?
- cearly adulthood
14) Which of the following statements best describes the term moratorium?
- aexploring and committing to one’s ethnic identity
- bcommitment to an ethnic identity without exploration
- cethnic identity exploration without commitment
- dthe absence of ethnic identity exploration and commitment
15) According to William Cross’s (1971) stages of racial identity formation, ________ is when Black individuals accept their identity on an emotional and intellectual level.