1) Racial, ethnic, class, and gender identities are based on biological and genetic factors.
2) Benjamin, a Mexican American adolescent male, states, “My parents tell me about where they lived, but what do I care? I’ve never lived there.” Benjamin is experiencing ______.
- aidentity foreclosure
- cidentity diffusion
- dachieved identity
3) Socially constructed racial categories and identities are tied to health outcomes. For example, racial discrimination can have a negative impact on an individual's physical health.
4) Which of the following statements best reflect a correlation between social class and health?
- athe disadvantages and stressors felt by low SES ethnic and racial minorities lead to poor health and a shortened life span
- binstitutionalized racism does not prevent racial minorities from accessing health resources
- cethnic and racial minorities do not somatize their stress from discrimination and poverty
- ddiscrimination has no impact on SES or health
5) Which of the following best reflects the term intersecting identities?
- aa homogenous description of an individual’s identity
- bmultiple closely linked identities that interact in a way that contributes to an individual's life experience
- cidentities that do not interact or contribute to unique life experiences
- didentifying with only one minority status
6) During which developmental stage do individuals begin to develop an ethnic group consciousness?
- cearly adulthood
7) Gender attitudes are not affected by race and gender interactions.
8) Racial identity is linked with self-esteem through a set of race-related beliefs and emotional responses that individuals are socialized into during their development known as _______.
- aracial identity schemas
- bcultural socialization
- clatent constructs
- dethnic behaviors
9) Serafin used to get bullied for being a dark-skinned immigrant from Oaxaca, Mexico and it caused him a lot of stress, but now he finds pride in his ethnic heritage and is unbothered by the people that try to put him down. Serafin is experiencing __________.
- alow private regard
- cidentity foreclosure
- dachieved ethnic identity
10) Which of the following best defines the components of commitment and attachment to an ethnic identity?
- alabels and categories that people use to describe their membership in an ethnic group
- bseeking information and experiences about your ethnic heritage
- cparticipating in behaviors and practices associated with your ethnic group
- dan individual's sense of belonging and emotional ties to their ethnic group
11) Which of the following terms is a subjective sense of membership and belonging that includes your attitudes, beliefs, knowledge, feelings, and behaviors?
- aracial identity
- bclass identity
- cmultiracial identity
- dethnic identity
12) ________ is an individual’s self-perceived social position in society.
- asocial class
- bobjective social status
- csocioeconomic status
- dsubjective social status
13) According to William Cross’s (1971) stages of racial identity formation, ________ is when Black individuals accept their identity on an emotional and intellectual level.
14) Which of the following terms refer(s) to the extent to which your ethnicity is an important part of your life?
- bin-group attitudes
15) Which of the following statements best describes the term moratorium?
- aexploring and committing to one’s ethnic identity
- bcommitment to an ethnic identity without exploration
- cethnic identity exploration without commitment
- dthe absence of ethnic identity exploration and commitment