1) The American Psychological Association (2005) has issued a resolution calling for the termination of the use of all Indian mascots, symbols, images, and personalities used by schools and university athletic programs.
2) A FBI Hate Crime Statistics Act report showed a _______ in hate crimes between 2014 and 2016.
- a7% decrease
- b17% increase
- c7% increase
- d17% decrease
3) ________ is the beliefs, attitudes, institutional arrangements, and acts that tend to denigrate individual or groups because of phenotypic characteristics or ethnic group affiliations (Clark & Williams 1999).
4) _____ sexism refers to simultaneous hostility toward nontraditional women and benevolence towards women in traditional roles, while _____ sexism refers to rejection of women in agentic roles.
- aAmbivalent; benevolent
- bHostile; ambivalent
- cAmbivalent; hostile
- dHostile; benevolent
5) Which of the following scholars was among the first to propose approaches to end discrimination and racism?
- aGordon Allport
- bThomas Pettigrew
- cJohn Berry
- dGary Allen
6) ________ are brief, subtle expressions or exchanges that carry a negative connotation and are directed at people different than you, like moving to a different cashier because he has an accent different from your own.
7) Frank meets Anna at a bar. Anna is from Kazakhstan and seems like a friendly, smart, and open individual. Frank tells Anna that she is the first person from Kazakhstan that he has met. The following week Frank meets another man from Kazakhstan and he is shocked that the stranger wasn’t as friendly as Anna. Frank’s perception of people from Kazakhstan was impacted by ________.
- athe out-group homogeneity effect
8) When individuals are asked how comfortable they would be with having a neighbor of a different ethnic background; they are being asked to measure ______.
- asocial class
- bsocial understanding
- csocial distance
- dsocial comfort
9) Which of the following is NOT a motivational dynamic in the development of stereotypes?
- aFirst impressions and the need to understand social environments
- bThe need to exert control over another during interpersonal interactions
- cNeed to belong
- dNeed to place positive traits on others for self-enhancements
10) Personal experiences and historical and political events are the only way in which stereotypes are formed.
11) Stereotypes can be formed by _______.
- cpolitical events
- dAll of the above
12) Discrimination is legally forbidden in the United States.
13) Affirmative action policies that made it possible for racial and ethnic minority individuals to be part of equitable workplaces where they could perform their duties alongside White colleagues on group projects attempted to implement _________.
- ainterspecies contact
- bintergroup contact
- cinterracial contact
- dinterethnic contact
14) _______ is the multiplicative impact that racism and sexism can have on the lives of men and women of color.
- aSexist racism
- bGendered racism
- cStereotyped racism
- dIntersectional racism
15) Which of the following are possible effects of prejudice and discrimination?
- aUnequal access to education
- cSelf -blame
- dAll of the above