Understand the multiple ways in which religious systems are constructed in different cultures and the multiple social and political functions that religion fulfills in all societies.
· Learning Objective 1: Understand the distinctions between religion and the supernatural.
· Learning Objective 2: Understand the difference between magic, science, and religion and how these categories of human experience help in the analysis of religious systems.
· Learning Objective 3: Understand the concepts of syncretism and religious change.
· Learning Objective 4: Understand the relationship between religious systems and other sociocultural ideas within one culture.
· Learning Objective 5: Understand the multiple uses and meanings of fundamentalism and its political expression in different socioreligious and political contexts.