Understand the multiple ways in which groups of people attempt to explain the unknowable by constructing the supernatural world and its origins and communicating ideas about that world and its history.
· Learning Objective 1: Understand the various theoretical and historical perspectives applied to the analysis of myths cross-culturally.
· Learning Objective 2: Understand the distinctions between myths, legends, and folktales.
· Learning Objective 3: Understand how myths, legends, and folktales relate to other aspects of culture, including male-female relations, ritual, religion, and social organization.
· Learning Objective 4: Understand how traditional forms of storytelling adapt to change and to new forms of communications technologies.
· Learning Objective 5: Understand the relationship in American contemporary culture between popular culture and traditional myths, legends, and folktales.