Understand the multiple ways in which individuals and groups of people express their creative, aesthetic, and spiritual impulses through visual and musical media.
· Learning Objective 1: Understand the various forms of art and artistic expression in society.
· Learning Objective 2: Understand how the creation of art relates to other aspects of culture, including male-female relations, ritual, religion, politics, and social organization.
· Learning Objective 3: Understand how traditional forms of art adapt to change and to new forms of expression in shifting political and economic realms.
· Learning Objective 4: Understand the role of global markets in creating new meanings and forms of artistic expression.
· Learning Objective 5: Understand how contemporary American fashion trends of tattooing and body piercing relate to our own cultural ideas and cross-cultural examples of body adornment.