Compare production in different types of societies around the world. Understand the concept of political economy, the intersection of economics, political organization, and social organization in all societies around the world.
· Learning Objective 1: Understand the characteristics of hunter-gatherer, horticultural, pastoralist, agricultural societies, and market societies.
· Learning Objective 2: Understand the gender and hierarchy components of these production systems.
· Learning Objective 3: Understand the economic and political structures associated with reciprocal, delayed, and generalized exchange systems.
· Learning Objective 4: Understand the multiple meanings of markets and the role of globalization in contemporary economic relationships around the world.
· Learning Objective 5: Understand the culture-specific interpretation of, and resistance to, globalization.