Compare political and legal systems found historically in different types of societies around the world. Understand the concept of political economy, political authority, law, warfare, and violence in different political settings.
· Learning Objective 1: Understand the concepts of political organization including leadership, power, authority, influence.
· Learning Objective 2: Understand the difference between informal leadership, headman, chieftainship, state.
· Learning Objective 3: Understand the forms of ethnicity, alliances, and factions within states.
· Learning Objective 4: Understand the operation of political structures within states in colonial and postcolonial settings.
· Learning Objective 5: Understand the expression of alliance and factions in the United States.