1) The opposite of contention is _____.
2) Which of the following does politics affect in our daily lives?
- aThe wages we earn at our jobs
- bThe services that the government provides for us
- cThe security that we feel, ensured by our military
- dThe roads that we use to travel to school
- eAll of the above
3) Advisors that are nominated by the elected executive (president or prime minister) to directly advise their decision making are typically referred to as secretaries or which other term?
4) Organizational units within a given territory that exert formal or legal authority through the creation of public policies are more generally referred to as a ______.
- echamber of commerce
5) One important component of representative democracy is the presence of ______ elections.
- aoccasional and erratic
- bfree and fair
- crestricted and corrupt
- dsecretive and limited
6) When governments pass laws to create or enforce rules and standards, we say that they are making this type of public policy.
7) This type of informal power can change opinions and outcomes, but does not rely on explicit force.
8) Which of the following leads us to suspect that elections in Belarus are not fully free and fair?
- aPresident Lukashenko won more than 80 percent of the vote in the last two elections.
- bOpposition leaders were detained or barred from running for office.
- cThe police used violence to intimidate average citizens.
- dWidespread irregularities and fraud were reported at the polls.
- eAll of the above are true.
9) An unusual form of non-democracy, in which a single leader imposes his or her will on the country, usually through the use of fear and strict private surveillance, is referred to as a(n) _____ government.
10) Which of the following is the most common form of government in Europe?