1) The U.S. Senate was created as a result of a compromise between _____ and _____ states about the nature of legislative representation in the new country.
- aweak . . . strong
- bsmall . . . large
- cNorth . . . South
- drich . . . poor
- euniform . . . diverse
2) This type of committee is not permanent, but rather is created to address a particular need.
- aAd hoc
- bEx officio
- dAd homonym
- eStatus quo
3) In bicameral legislatures, a _____ committee may be called to smooth out differences between analogous committees in both houses.
4) Which of the following is typically a role played by legislatures in non-democracies?
- aTo provide symbolic legitimacy
- bTo allow for limited debate
- cTo pick new party leaders
- dTo encourage new political parties
- eTo mollify the political opposition
5) One judicial function of legislatures, called _____, takes place in a presidential system when the president has committed a major crime and must be removed from his or her duties.
- aa vote of no confidence
- bdivided government
6) In a parliamentary system, the executive branch is typically _____ the legislative branch.
- aset apart from
- ecreated from
7) According to philosopher Edmond Burke, legislators follow this model, in which they are not directly responsible to voters during their mandate and are encouraged to use their own judgment in making decisions.
8) Which of the following would NOT provide a president with increased power, vis-à-vis the legislature?
- aA line-item veto
- bThe ability to restrict amendments
- cStrong executive decree power
- dInsistence powers in legislating
- eA legislative veto
9) Following the Arab Spring, the _____ group has taken advantage of the Egyptian legislature as a place to groom new members, solidify their political base, and pressure the president.
- aNational Democratic Party
- bMuslim Brotherhood
- cIslamic State
- eAl-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula
10) In a parliamentary system, a _____ government can only exist if it is able to find ample help in passing laws from so-called “support” parties.