1) This German thinker studied the Prussian military, providing him with inspiration for his seminal work on how modern bureaucracy should be designed.
- aKarl Marx
- bGeorg Friedrich Hegel
- cMax Weber
- dSigmund Freud
- eOtto von Bismarck
2) In this judicial style, decisions are taken in accordance with legislated laws, as opposed to adjudicated precedence.
- aCommon law
- bNatural law
- cCode law
- dPositive law
- eCase law
3) At the head of each bureaucratic agency is typically a(n) _____.
- anon-partisan civil servant
- bpermanent secretary
- celected politician
- dappointed cabinet minister
- eneutral nominee
4) In a Graham Allison’s theory of “bureaucratic politics” decision making, a key problem is
- aagents shirking the directives of their principals.
- bstandard operating procedures constraining dynamic decisions.
- cturf wars between related, but differing agencies.
- drecruitment of talented civil servants.
- edirection of bureaucratic decisions by polite elites.
5) In traditional European bureaucratic agencies, new civil servant talent is recruited primarily via _____.
- apersonal connections with politicians
- bhighly specific credentials for a particular agency
- cpopular elections
- dretired national politicians
- estandardized, general exams
6) Political scientists refer to _____ as the ability of a country to foster a well-organized and competent bureaucracy, based upon Weberian ideals.
- brule of law
- cgood governance
- dstate capacity
- efree administration
7) This French university has historically educated the bulk of top governmental administrators.
- aÉcole normale supérieure (Normale-Sup’)
- cÉcole des mines de Paris (MINES)
- dInstitut d’études politiques (IEP)
- eÉcole nationale d’administration (ENA)
8) Under _____, high-level courts interpret compatibility between existing laws, previous judgments, and the national constitution, in order to ensure legal consistency.
- ajudicial activism
- bjudicial review
- cjudicial appeal
- djudicial application
- ejudicial debate
9) In _____ law, special courts are created to adjudicate the legality of public officials and civil servants.
10) Which of the following would a bureaucratic agency likely NOT be responsible for in a democracy?
- aRegulating the financial sector
- bSubsidizing the cost of public education
- cProviding loans to local government to invest in infrastructure
- dCreating new, important, and politically sensitive programs
- eLicensing businesses and collecting corporate taxes