1) Which would NOT be an example of terrorism?
- aAn activist detonates a hand grenade at a political rally
- bA separatist group launches guerilla attacks on the central government
- cA radical religious figure hijacks a plane
- dA country invades its neighbor for economic gain
- eAn undemocratic leader uses the threat of violence to maintain power
2) This policy allows for carbon-emitting businesses to be limited in their carbon production, but to sell shares of unused pollution allowances.
3) This policy problem, created as a way of addressing high fuel prices in the mid-2000s, exacerbated existing issues with the food supply in least developed countries.
- cEconomic sanctions
4) Which of the following is NOT a component of social approaches to politics?
- bRaw capabilities
- dTraditional values
- eSocial movements
5) The ongoing Eurozone economic crisis has pitted the large net contributor economy of _____ against the small net recipient economy of _____.
- aFrance . . . Luxembourg
- bItaly . . . Malta
- cGermany . . . Greece
- dNorway . . . Iceland
- eUK . . . Ireland
6) This political theorist is responsible for creating “constructivism,” which applies a social approach to the analysis of international relations.
- aJohn Mearsheimer
- bKenneth Waltz
- cRobert Keohane
- dAlexander Wendt
- eHans Morgenthau
7) Which of the following makes combatting Islamic terrorism a particularly difficult challenge for the global community?
- aTerrorists are committed to their cause on a deeper, spiritual level
- bTechnology used by terrorists is typically highly advanced
- cTerrorists do not follow traditional rules of engagement in battle
- dLocal populations have been coopted or corrupter by terrorist leaders
- eAll of the above are true
8) The Rwandan genocide was the product of sectarian tensions between ethnic Hutus and _____.
9) Which of the following policy areas are currently NOT among the most salient topics for policy debate in international relations?
- bClimate change
- dPoverty and economic development
- eGlobal financial stability
10) “Clash of civilizations” theories were developed to highlight historical and contemporary tensions between _____ and _____.
- aNorth . . . South
- bAmericans . . . Chinese
- crich . . . poor countries
- ddemocracies . . . non-democracies
- ethe Christian West . . . the Muslim East