1) This political theorist is responsible for creating “constructivism,” which applies a social approach to the analysis of international relations.
- aJohn Mearsheimer
- bKenneth Waltz
- cRobert Keohane
- dAlexander Wendt
- eHans Morgenthau
2) Which of the following makes combatting Islamic terrorism a particularly difficult challenge for the global community?
- aTerrorists are committed to their cause on a deeper, spiritual level
- bTechnology used by terrorists is typically highly advanced
- cTerrorists do not follow traditional rules of engagement in battle
- dLocal populations have been coopted or corrupter by terrorist leaders
- eAll of the above are true
3) Which would NOT be an example of terrorism?
- aAn activist detonates a hand grenade at a political rally
- bA separatist group launches guerilla attacks on the central government
- cA radical religious figure hijacks a plane
- dA country invades its neighbor for economic gain
- eAn undemocratic leader uses the threat of violence to maintain power
4) The ongoing Eurozone economic crisis has pitted the large net contributor economy of _____ against the small net recipient economy of _____.
- aFrance . . . Luxembourg
- bItaly . . . Malta
- cGermany . . . Greece
- dNorway . . . Iceland
- eUK . . . Ireland
5) Which of the following is NOT a component of social approaches to politics?
- bRaw capabilities
- dTraditional values
- eSocial movements
6) “Clash of civilizations” theories were developed to highlight historical and contemporary tensions between _____ and _____.
- aNorth . . . South
- bAmericans . . . Chinese
- crich . . . poor countries
- ddemocracies . . . non-democracies
- ethe Christian West . . . the Muslim East
7) Which of the following policy areas are currently NOT among the most salient topics for policy debate in international relations?
- bClimate change
- dPoverty and economic development
- eGlobal financial stability
8) This policy problem, created as a way of addressing high fuel prices in the mid-2000s, exacerbated existing issues with the food supply in least developed countries.
- cEconomic sanctions
9) This policy allows for carbon-emitting businesses to be limited in their carbon production, but to sell shares of unused pollution allowances.
10) The Rwandan genocide was the product of sectarian tensions between ethnic Hutus and _____.