1) An important, yet complicating, factor in empirical political analysis.
- aThe study of politics cannot be generalized beyond individual opinion.
- bMultiple variables may influence the concepts that we are trying to explain.
- cHypotheses are normative statements of personal belief.
- dMany variables are likely to be both necessary and sufficient for our studies.
- eQuantitative analysis will likely never explain what we are witnessing.
2) When a theory can be “falsified” it can be . . .
- ashown to be immune to counter-examples.
- bjudged as the correct answer.
- cmade into scientific law.
- dshown to be incorrect, which may improve the theory.
- efalsely accused of being wrong.
3) Which of the following does NOT present a challenge to behavioral pluralism?
- aPolitical systems may limit the influence of certain groups.
- bA focus on individual behavior can ignore the roles of political institutions.
- cMany political developments happen outside of the researcher’s public eye.
- dMany liberal democracies include the participation of rival interest groups.
- eAttention to individuals can lead to missing out on cultural context.
4) Which of the following is the correct order for modeling the effect of one variable on another?
- aDependent -> Independent
- bIntervening -> Independent
- cIndependent -> Dependent
- dDependent -> Intervening
- eIndependent <- ->Dependent
5) Which of the following is NOT a component of political ideologies?
- aOne or more preferred political values
- bRelated empirical beliefs about society and politics
- cEvaluations of how society should be
- dSpecific opinions about a single public policy
- eGeneral prescriptions for how the government should act
6) Another word for a reasoned explanation of a cause and effect relationship in political analysis is a(n) ______.
- aresearch question
7) This type of analysis emphasizes the effect of deeply held societal values, beliefs, and local customs.
- aInstitutionalist analysis
- bPolitical culture analysis
- cModernization analysis
- dRational choice analysis
- eFormal analysis
8) Political science research began to emerge as scholars sought to explain the breakdown of European democracies leading up to the ______ war.
- aFrench and Indian
- cSecond World
- dFrench Revolutionary
9) This subfield of political science examines the relationship between individual countries in the global arena.
- aAmerican politics
- bComparative politics
- cInternational relations
- dNormative political theory
- ePolitical methodology
10) This type of regime gave the Zambian president an institutionally vague power base that allowed for him to expand upon his powers more than would be expected in a democracy.