1) This type of regime gave the Zambian president an institutionally vague power base that allowed for him to expand upon his powers more than would be expected in a democracy.
2) Which of the following is the correct order for modeling the effect of one variable on another?
- aDependent -> Independent
- bIntervening -> Independent
- cIndependent -> Dependent
- dDependent -> Intervening
- eIndependent <- ->Dependent
3) Political science research began to emerge as scholars sought to explain the breakdown of European democracies leading up to the ______ war.
- aFrench and Indian
- cSecond World
- dFrench Revolutionary
4) This type of analysis emphasizes the effect of deeply held societal values, beliefs, and local customs.
- aInstitutionalist analysis
- bPolitical culture analysis
- cModernization analysis
- dRational choice analysis
- eFormal analysis
5) An important, yet complicating, factor in empirical political analysis.
- aThe study of politics cannot be generalized beyond individual opinion.
- bMultiple variables may influence the concepts that we are trying to explain.
- cHypotheses are normative statements of personal belief.
- dMany variables are likely to be both necessary and sufficient for our studies.
- eQuantitative analysis will likely never explain what we are witnessing.
6) Which of the following is NOT a component of political ideologies?
- aOne or more preferred political values
- bRelated empirical beliefs about society and politics
- cEvaluations of how society should be
- dSpecific opinions about a single public policy
- eGeneral prescriptions for how the government should act
7) When a theory can be “falsified” it can be . . .
- ashown to be immune to counter-examples.
- bjudged as the correct answer.
- cmade into scientific law.
- dshown to be incorrect, which may improve the theory.
- efalsely accused of being wrong.
8) This subfield of political science examines the relationship between individual countries in the global arena.
- aAmerican politics
- bComparative politics
- cInternational relations
- dNormative political theory
- ePolitical methodology
9) Another word for a reasoned explanation of a cause and effect relationship in political analysis is a(n) ______.
- aresearch question
10) Which of the following does NOT present a challenge to behavioral pluralism?
- aPolitical systems may limit the influence of certain groups.
- bA focus on individual behavior can ignore the roles of political institutions.
- cMany political developments happen outside of the researcher’s public eye.
- dMany liberal democracies include the participation of rival interest groups.
- eAttention to individuals can lead to missing out on cultural context.