1) Which of the following is NOT a component of political legitimacy?
- aRule of law
- bRepresentation of citizen values
- cEffectiveness of political rule
- dPresence of presidential governing
- eCharismatic leadership
2) The presence of positive political participation may derail or even transform a country’s leadership toward democratic governing, particularly in this type of non-democracy.
3) One way that governments can deal with competing cleavages that exist on a territorial basis is to grant limited degrees of autonomy to subnational units. This is referred to as _____.
- bconstitutional consensus
4) The lack of political legitimacy contributed to the American Revolution because . . .
- acolonists decided to follow the French model of democracy.
- bBritish rulers were rude to local colonial Americans.
- cthe Crown imposed new laws on colonists that did not represent their will.
- dthe Boston Tea Party was an unsuccessful party.
- ethe Stamp Tax was more expensive than originally expected.
5) This technological capability became increasingly important to maintaining the permeation of the state during the nineteenth century.
- aHigh-speed internet service
- bDeveloped railway infrastructure
- cCellular communication capabilities
- dThe invention of electricity
- eCommercial and chartered airlines
6) Which of the following is NOT an essential component of the state?
- aGoverning institutions, such as a legislature or an executive branch
- bSovereign rule exists over the full country
- cA set geographic territory that is identifiable
- dCitizens that represent a singular ethnic and cultural heritage
- eUncontested leadership persists across the full territory
7) Which of the following is NOT a key component of national identity?
- aShared cultural history
- bCommon language
- cGeographically concentrated population
- dCitizenship in a common political community
- eIdentification with a shared religious tradition
8) The policy of “l’abertura,” taken by President Figuereido in the 1970s and responsible for the full democratization of the country, translates to this English concept.
- bPopular Rule
9) Which of the following components of nation-state development refers to a widespread sense that the system of government is right and just?
- aState authority
- bNational identity
10) Political cleavages can become detrimental to the formation of a common national identity when multiple contending differences in the population overlap with a(n) _____ cleavage.