1) When the media is consciously used to spread the beliefs of an individual politician or the government instead of reporting critically on it, this is called _____.
2) Which of the following would NOT be a directly contributing factor to a country’s political culture?
- aIts dominant religions
- bIts societal history
- cIts past political structures
- dIts popular culture
- eIts major political parties
3) Which of the following is NOT an example of a post-material value?
- aNuclear weapons should be banned.
- bProgressive taxation should tax higher earners at higher rates.
- cWomen should be treated equally to men in political life.
- dSame-sex couples should be allowed to adopt on equal terms.
- eClean energy should reduce the use of fossil fuels.
4) In a country with a _____ political culture, the population is neither engaged in politics, nor knows much about it.
5) In which way can political culture become oversimplified?
- aThe source of culture may not be the political system.
- bPolitical parties may present extreme versions of popular opinion.
- cVariations at the subculture level can be over-generalized.
- dPoliticians may be more closely wed to ideas than their voters.
- eAll of the above are true.
6) This military leader ruled Indonesia for much of the late twentieth century using a local form of governing called “Golkar” that coopted the middle class into supporting the government.
7) One of the most accurate types of polling occurs after voters have actually cast their ballots and is referred to as a(n) _____ poll.
8) Developing democracies often require a balance of social and _____ capital to stave off backsliding towards authoritarianism.
9) For a public opinion poll to be valid and representative, which of the following MUST be true?
- aIt must be conducted via telephone.
- bIt must randomly sample the population.
- cIt must ask only yes/no questions.
- dIt must be administered by the government.
- eIt must obtain a margin of error less than 2 percent.
10) A lack of leadership commitment to democracy, combined with residual values from a country’s pre-democratic past, may lead to a state of _____ —where a nominally democratic country fails to offer voters a viable set of choices.
- atotalitarian rule
- bsultanist control
- celectoral authoritarian
- dcartel corruption
- emachine politics