1) The first major left-of-center party in modern Mexico, the _____ party, provided helpful oversight of the _____ after its 2012 return to power.
- aPAN . . . PRD
- bPRI . . . PAN
- cPRD . . . PRI
- dPRD . . . PAN
- ePAN . . . PRI
2) This category of interest group assembles to seek direct and tangible benefits.
3) In this system of interest group intermediation, interest groups are given privileged access to participate directly in governmental decision-making processes.
4) Interest groups are an example of what Dahl called “minorities rule,” because . . .
- aethnic minorities often have their own interest groups.
- bminor interest groups are often the most persuasive.
- cinterest groups allow singular or focused interests to be represented.
- dthe majority rarely gets its way in politics.
- einterest groups are undemocratic.
5) The industrial era brought about this particular type of interest group in modernizing democracies.
- aSingle-issue groups
- bProtest groups
- cAgricultural guilds
- dReligious groups
- eLabor unions
6) This larger collection of interest groups assembles different organizations, clustered on a similar topic, and channels their interests to government decision makers.
- cPeak associations
- dNon-governmental organizations
7) One challenge faced by single-issue interest groups is that . . .
- amembers are interested in multiple things.
- bcomplex platforms can be difficult to digest.
- cdiverse member backgrounds can be hard to unify.
- dcharismatic leadership and momentum can be hard to maintain.
- egovernment officials are more likely to listen to broader coalitions.
8) One central difference between instrumental and communal groups is that . . .
- amembership in instrumental groups is more specific.
- bmembership in communal groups is more formal.
- cmembership in instrumental groups is more value-laden.
- dmembership in communal groups is government sponsored.
- emembership in instrumental groups is chosen or self-selected.
9) The main source of opposition politics in Japan comes from the _____.
- aJapanese Socialist Party
- bLiberal Democratic Party
- cKeiretsu Party
- dCoiffure Party
- eDemocratic Party of Japan
10) Individuals who benefit from interest groups without paying dues or joining formally are called _____.
- bfree riders