1) The main source of opposition politics in Japan comes from the _____.
- aJapanese Socialist Party
- bLiberal Democratic Party
- cKeiretsu Party
- dCoiffure Party
- eDemocratic Party of Japan
2) In this system of interest group intermediation, interest groups are given privileged access to participate directly in governmental decision-making processes.
3) The industrial era brought about this particular type of interest group in modernizing democracies.
- aSingle-issue groups
- bProtest groups
- cAgricultural guilds
- dReligious groups
- eLabor unions
4) This larger collection of interest groups assembles different organizations, clustered on a similar topic, and channels their interests to government decision makers.
- cPeak associations
- dNon-governmental organizations
5) This category of interest group assembles to seek direct and tangible benefits.
6) One challenge faced by single-issue interest groups is that . . .
- amembers are interested in multiple things.
- bcomplex platforms can be difficult to digest.
- cdiverse member backgrounds can be hard to unify.
- dcharismatic leadership and momentum can be hard to maintain.
- egovernment officials are more likely to listen to broader coalitions.
7) Interest groups are an example of what Dahl called “minorities rule,” because . . .
- aethnic minorities often have their own interest groups.
- bminor interest groups are often the most persuasive.
- cinterest groups allow singular or focused interests to be represented.
- dthe majority rarely gets its way in politics.
- einterest groups are undemocratic.
8) Individuals who benefit from interest groups without paying dues or joining formally are called _____.
- bfree riders
9) The first major left-of-center party in modern Mexico, the _____ party, provided helpful oversight of the _____ after its 2012 return to power.
- aPAN . . . PRD
- bPRI . . . PAN
- cPRD . . . PRI
- dPRD . . . PAN
- ePAN . . . PRI
10) One central difference between instrumental and communal groups is that . . .
- amembership in instrumental groups is more specific.
- bmembership in communal groups is more formal.
- cmembership in instrumental groups is more value-laden.
- dmembership in communal groups is government sponsored.
- emembership in instrumental groups is chosen or self-selected.