1) The tendency to judge the customs of others according to one’s own cultural standards is called ________.
- bcultural relativism
- cthe relativist fallacy
2) The fact that most immigrant groups eventually come to speak English and lose the language of their ancestors is an example of _________________.
- dcultural pluralism
3) In recent years, a major focus of the media and politicians has been on undocumented immigrants. Meanwhile, wages for workers remained stagnant or declined. A conflict theorist would argue that this is an example of _____________________.
- ahow the media and politicians focus on uncomfortable truths
- bhow elites use racial and ethnic hostilities to divert and distract white and minority workers from recognizing their shared interests
- chow elites use racial and ethnic hostilities to divert attention from the fact that Americans are actually doing well
- dhow biased the media and politicians are
4) A ________ refers to a population that differs from others in the frequency of certain hereditary traits.
- asocially constructed race
- bbiological race
- cpsychological race
- dculturally defined race
5) What term applies to the use of skin color, hair texture, and eye shape to qualify race in a pseudobiological classification system?
- abiological race
- bphysiological race
- csocial race
- dpsychological race
6) Social race is considered a _____________ in the United States.
- aphysiological classification system
- bsocioeconomic classification system
- cpseudobiological classification system
- dbehavioral-based classification system
7) How many racial classifications may a person indicate that he or she belongs to on the U.S. Census?
- aonly one racial classification with which he or she feels most affiliated
- bno more than two racial classifications with which he or she feels most affiliated
- cno more than four racial classifications with which he or she feels most affiliated
- das many racial classifications as he or she feels affiliated with
8) _____________ is a type of dominant-minority group relation characterized by minority groups losing their distinctive identities.
- aCultural pluralism
9) What is the LARGEST racial minority in the United States today?
- bAsian Americans
- cNative Americans
- dAfrican Americans
10) ______________ refers to a low-cost, minimal-commitment version of ethnicity in which people occasionally engage in activities emphasizing their ethnicity.
- aSpecial occasion ethnicity
- bCheap ethnicity
- cSymbolic ethnicity
- dCelebratory ethnicity
11) The U.S. Census determines racial classification through ________________.
- aa scientific process founded on the basis of heredity
- bbureaucratic rationality
- cprivate self-definition
- dbiological determinism
12) Language and cultural traditions are used to determine ________________ membership.
- aethnic group
- bracial group
- cimmigrant group
- dlinguistic group
13) In the 2010 Census, approximately what percentage of Americans responded that they were descendants of only one race?
- a76 percent
- b80 percent
- c89 percent
- d97 percent
14) The Civil Rights Act of 1964 established equality of ______________.
- ahome ownership opportunity
- beducation opportunity
- cemployment opportunity
- dmilitary service opportunity
15) Discrimination is to unequal treatment as prejudice is to ________.
- aan oversimplified idea
- ca static opinion
- da socially approved target
16) _______________ refers to a process in which minority groups lose their distinctive identities and conform to the cultural patterns of the dominant group.
17) Which perspective points out that one benefit of the U.S. Census is that it provides the best data available on the racial and ethnic demographic profile of the American population?
- bsymbolic interactionist
18) Following the Civil War, the southern states passed laws that prohibited forms of integration for blacks and whites such as sharing the same schools and public facilities. Which form of segregation BEST describes these acts by southern officials?
- adi giorno segregation
- bde rigueur segregation
- cde facto segregation
- dde jure segregation
19) Jessica is a real estate agent. She wants to show homes to minorities in previously all-white neighborhoods but finds reasons not to because she does not want to lose future listings from the white homeowners. Based on Robert Merton’s typologies of discrimination and prejudice, what classification applies to Jessica?
- aprejudiced discriminator
- bunprejudiced non-discriminator
- cunprejudiced discriminator
- dprejudiced non-discriminator
20) Which sociological perspective is most aligned with the concepts of the split-labor market and reserve labor force?
- athe conflict perspective
- bthe structuralist perspective
- cthe functionalist perspective
- dthe symbolic interactionist perspective