1) _____________ is a branch of feminist theory that advocates the abandonment of the institution of family, elimination of the total notion of gender, and other revolutionary changes in society.
- aLiberal feminism
- bSocialist feminism
- cRadical feminism
- dConservative feminism
2) Which of the following is true regarding feminism?
- aThe feminist movement aims to strengthen patriarchy.
- bThe feminist movement intends to promote equality between the sexes.
- cThe feminist movement promotes female superiority.
- dThe feminist movement promotes male superiority.
3) What is the phenomenon in which women work full time jobs only to come home to do more work related to domestic and childcare duties?
- aglass ceiling
- bsecond shift
- cdomestic elevator
- dpink collar curse
4) Which of the following is NOT a pink-collar occupation?
- ahair stylist
- bdental hygienist
- cflight attendant
- delementary school principal
5) The fact that women tend to spend more time than men caring for children has to do with what?
- aIt is purely based on instinct and hereditary influences.
- bIt is partly linked to chromosomal influence and partly a result of socialization.
- cIt is purely based on environment and peer influence.
- dIt is a matter of chance, depending on purely unpredictable variables.
6) Who was the Boston College professor and theologian who only allowed women in her classes and contended that the presence of men would “harm the academic growth of her women students”?
- aMary Daly
- bPatricia Hill Collins
- cShannon Faulkner
- dSusan B. Anthony
7) At an early age boys learn to play sports and assume leadership roles, and have a tendency to be aggressive. Girls learn to play with dolls, imitate their mothers in play, and assume a more passive role. This acknowledging of one’s sex and internalizing the norms, values, and behaviors of the accompanying gender expectation is called ________.
- asexual identity
- bgender alignment
- cgender identity
- dsexual orientation
8) ____________ theorized that families in early societies experienced more egalitarianism, but this changed when emphasis shifted to the ownership and exchange of goods and property.
- aHerbert Spencer
- bPatricia Hill Collins
- cKarl Marx
- dFriedrich Engels
9) Equality between the sexes requires _____________.
- agender neutrality
- bchanges in voting rights
- cchanges in attitudes alone
- deconomic equity
10) Stanley’s brother Walter came out to him as gay. Stanley told him to get out of his home and told him he would get AIDS. Stanley’s behavior and attitude can be described as ______________.
11) Ms. Culpepper hired Stanley and Phyllis as project managers. Stanley and Phyllis have the same qualifications. Ms. Culpepper offered Stanley a higher starting salary because she assumes that Phyllis will soon become pregnant and quit. Ms. Culpepper is exhibiting what type of behavior?
- agender intuition
- cglass ceiling
12) ___________ is based on biological and physical differences between females and males.
- bSexual orientation
- dGender identity
13) Which theoretical perspective emphasizes that men have a vested interest in keeping women in a subordinate role?
- csymbolic interactionist
14) _________________ advocated the idea that gender identity is acquired through a three-stage process that includes the imitative, game, and role-taking stages.
- aCharles Horton Cooley
- bKai Erikson
- cGeorge Herbert Mead
- dJames A. Wilson
15) What is the normal chromosome complement for a male?
16) Gender is to cultural understanding of masculinity and femininity as sex is to ________________.
- athe natural selection of gender-appropriate behavior roles
- binstinct based on chromosomal differences
- cbiological and physical differences
- dheredity and differences in organ development
17) Giving dolls to girls and action figures to boys helps to establish gender identity, which is most aligned with which sociological perspective?
- astructural functionalism
- bthe conflict perspective
- cthe feminist perspective
- dsymbolic interactionism
18) Naming boys “Thomas,” “John,” and “Tyler” and girls “April,” “Wanda,” and “Stella” is a behavior associated with gender identity of most interest to which perspective?
- dsymbolic interactionist
19) Someone who is ______________ has a gender identity that differs from the sex of their birth. Someone who is _______________ has undergone surgery to change their biological sex.
- atransgender; transsexual
- btranssexual; transgender
- ctransgender; cisgender
- dcisgender; transsexual
20) What does Title IX do?
- aIt establishes quotas for women in managerial positions in the government.
- bIt prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex in schools.
- cIt opens the enlistment of women in combat roles in all branches of military service.
- dIt provides women the same rights as racial minorities in the enforcement of affirmative action.