1) A _____________ is a small-scale, irregular armed struggle against larger, better-armed government military forces.
- aproxy war
- bmilitary junta
- cCold War
- dguerrilla war
2) If every member of a town ages 18 or older gathers at the city center to vote on every bill, law, or code that governs the citizens, the community is engaging in what?
- alimited democracy
- cdirect democracy
3) A(n) ______________ is an enduring coalition of individuals who organize to win elections and shape public policy.
- apublic interest group
- bpolitical party
- dmilitary junta
4) The sitting president compels the citizens of her or his nation to vote in tomorrow’s election. The president says that anyone who does not vote will be arrested. What is the president using to get people to vote?
5) If Big Major News Network (BMNN) reports on only those stories that draw in lots of viewers in order to increase advertising revenue, what is BMNN most likely engaging in?
6) The governor of the state is having surgery at Big City Hospital. At the hospital, the chief of surgery outranks the governor due to his specialized medical knowledge. The chief of surgery has which type of authority?
7) A political system in which power is concentrated in a small group of elites without constitutional limits is called a(n) ___________.
8) What is the concept that refers to the rules and policies that determine the organization, exercise, and transfer of government decision-making power?
- anation-state system
- bpolitical system
- dauthoritarian regime
9) According to the _______________ perspective, power is distributed among many groups and organizations: businesses, labor unions, government agencies, religious groups, and so on. Consequently, no group or organization is able to dominate the system.
- dsymbolic interactionist
10) _____________ are people and organizations that formulate and implement public policy.
- bSocial groups
- cSocial institutions
11) Which scenario is the BEST example of influence?
- aColonel Fury has just taken a fortified enemy position in a daring commando raid.
- bDonald J. Trump was a major U.S. presidential candidate despite not having a political background or ever holding elected office.
- cRingo was arrested by the Pittsburgh Police after a long, high-speed chase.
- dThe judge has sentenced a man convicted of second degree murder to life in prison.
12) Dr. Glosser assigned her students a 12-page research paper. The students complained but still completed their papers. This is an example of power. Therefore, power refers to what?
- athe honor and privilege that accompanies a status role
- bthe use of force or the threat of the use of force against an opponent
- cthe ability to realize one's will even against the opposition and resistance of others
- dthe physical harm inflicted upon an individual by another individual of higher status
13) According to Domhoff and Useem, the ___________ consists of members of the upper class who assert a great deal of power in political policymaking. Mills referred to the small group dominating American politics as the ______________.
- ademocratic façade; ruling class
- bgoverning class; power elite
- cruling class; democratic façade
- dpower elite; governing class
14) Bob Bond, a wealthy businessman, wants to see Hillary Clinton win the presidential nomination from the Democrats in the 2016 election. In view of this, what is the maximum amount of money that Bob can donate to the Clinton campaign?
- dThere is no limit on how much money a private citizen can donate.
15) Which third-party candidate for president of the United States gained the highest percentage of the popular vote?
- aRoss Perot
- bRalph Nader
- cTheodore Roosevelt
- dPat Buchanan
16) In recent presidential elections, Hillary Clinton and Sarah Palin were both critiqued for their hairstyles and clothing choices. Which theoretical perspective would be most interested in analyzing these critiques?
- bsymbolic interactionist
17) President Obama could suggest new laws to legislatures. Those legislatures might then write and vote to approve a law. The law, however, would apply equally to President Obama, the legislatures, and the everyday citizens of the United States. This is an example of which type of authority?
- alegal-rational authority
- btraditional authority
- ccharismatic authority
- dtotalitarian authority
18) Selective leaking of false or misleading information to the media for specific political or military objectives refers to which aspect of censorship?
- apsychological warfare
- bmisinformation or disinformation
19) In a system in which a candidate can win by a single vote, the “winner takes all.” What is this system called?
20) The police have a type of legitimate power that has widespread social approval and is obeyed because people believe those who exercise it have a right to do so. This type of power is called ____________.