1) On 9/11, people made sure to fill up their cars with gas and bought food and other supplies. Some bought gas masks and supplies to prevent gas from entering their home. This behavior can be described as what?
- bmob action
- chypnotic suggestion
2) This theory of collective behavior requires an understanding of group dynamics and an examination of the larger social context contributing to the emergence of a social movement.
- aemergent norm theory
- bvalue-added theory
- cgroup conflict theory
- dcontagion theory
3) Which term is used by sociologists to refer to gradual, large-scale changes that are imperceptible to people as they go about their daily lives?
4) Susan G. Komen for the Cure has seen great success as a social movement because of its ability to bring leadership, money, organizing skills, and media coverage to its cause. Which theory explains its success?
- aframe alignment
- bresource mobilization
- crelative deprivation
- dmob mentality
5) According to cyclical theory, there are three “mentalities” that all societies pass through. What are these “mentalities”?
- athesis, antithesis, synthesis
- bphysical, metaphysical, theological
- cideational, sensate, idealistic
- dsymbolic, concrete, abstract
6) According to ______________________, in situations where collectivities become crowds, they look to each other during interaction for clues as to how they should behave, and establish new group norms of judgment.
- aemergent norm theory
- bconvergence theory
- ccyclical evolution
- dunilineal evolution
7) The cyclical approach to interpreting social change is based on which basic model?
- athe repetitive cycles of nature
- bthe belief in the Alpha and the Omega as a part of early religious practice
- cancient folklore from Greece and Rome
- dthe theory of Karl Marx regarding thesis, antithesis, and synthesis
8) According to Toennies, ______________ social bonds are fleeting and impersonal and based on self-interest.
- aorganic solidarity
- cmechanical solidarity
9) Which type of collective behavior is more widespread, sustained, and involves a lot of people?
- aan expressive crowd
- ba fad
- ca riot
- da mob
10) The neoevolutionary perspective on social change is most closely aligned with which sociological perspective?
- csymbolic interactionist
11) The term _______________ refers to the somewhat spontaneous and noninstitutionalized response of a large number of people to uncertain and problematic situations.
- bcultural diffusion
- csocial innovation
- dcollective behavior
12) Neurodiversity Now! and Respecting Autism exchange their email lists of their members. They also organize events together culminating in a summer festival in their community every August. In a social movement, what is the term used to describe this sharing of resources with other organizations with similar beliefs and goals?
- bbloc mobilization
13) Social movements have the greatest chance at success if they bureaucratically organize, focus on a single issue, and seek to establish __________.
- amajor reform
- ba democratic framework
- cminor reform
- dpersonal responsibility
14) According to ________________ theory, societies differ according to their level of complexity and over time there is greater social differentiation among social institutions.
- aemergent norm
- cradical conflict
15) Brenda is a white American. Her favorite food is sushi, she practices yoga three times a week, and her favorite films come from Bollywood. This is an example of ____________.
16) Homer uses Facebook. His friend Marge also uses Facebook. Marge posted a status update that expressed her disdain for Facebook’s policy change to go from a free to paid service. At the end of the post, readers were asked to copy and paste the status update if they also disapproved. Homer did this and so did his friend Bart. Homer’s friend Lisa pointed out to him that what he posted is untrue, and that Facebook makes too much money on advertising to have to charge users for the service. Homer, Marge, and Bart all were participants in spreading what?
- atainted fashion
- bcapitalism sabotage
- curban legend
- dimperialistic rumor
17) Black Lives Matter is an example of an organized, goal-directed effort by a large number of people to promote social change outside of established institutions. This is an example of _____________.
- acultural innovation
- bsocial movement
- ccyclical change
18) Stephanie is the leader of her daughter’s Girl Scout troop. She is not paid for her work. Jennifer is in charge of the Girl Scout organization for their county. Stephanie’s involvement is a _____________ position, while Jennifer’s position is ____________.
- avolunteer; professional
- butilitarian; coercive
- cprofessional; volunteer
- dcivil; private
19) Auguste Comte proposed that societies pass through three stages in his unilinear theory. These stages include theological, metaphysical, and ______________.
20) One of the major characteristics used to classify collective behavior is ______________.
- athe social class of the participants
- bthe education level of participants
- cthe type of collectivity involved
- dthe day of the week the event occurs