1) The Hindu practice that prohibits the slaughter of India’s cows because they are considered sacred must be examined in the full context of the practice to understand it. This statement reflects which approach?
- acultural hegemony
- bcultural ecological
- ccultural relativism
- dcultural shock
2) The practice of most schools not holding classes during the summer months, even though farms now require fewer people to operate them due to farming technology, is an example of _________.
- acultural hegemony
- bcultural lag
- ccultural shock
- dcultural ecological
3) Where are the Nacirema people found?
- aremote parts of the western United States
- bsouthern Canada
- ccontemporary America
- dhistorical America
4) _______ refers to the imperialistic ambitions of nations, corporations, and organizations and their desire to impose themselves on various societies and cultures.
5) A feminist perspective on culture does not emphasize _______________.
- ahow cultural norms continue to emphasize the value of men’s contributions to societal wellbeing
- bhow cultural norms promote male superiority
- chow cultural mores equally emphasize men’s contributions to societal wellbeing
- dhow women’s contributions to society are valuable
6) Underage drinking by a college student at a fraternity party is an example of adhering to a _____________; it is still in violation of a ________________.
- alaw; norm
- bnorm; folkway
- cfolkway; more
- dnorm; taboo
7) A(n) _____________ is a society that depends on computer information technologies, photonics, robotics, and biogenetics.
- apastoral society
- bagrarian society
- cpostindustrial society
- dhorticultural society
8) A sociologist using this perspective might analyze the content of television to understand cultural hegemony.
- csymbolic interactionist
9) Veronica is from a New England town where the residents pride themselves for being upper-middle class, loyal supporters of the Republican Party, strong patriots, and Protestant. Veronica feels that anyone who does not share these qualities does not qualify as being a “real” American. In view of this, which statement best describes Veronica’s behavior?
- aVeronica is suffering from the relativist fallacy.
- bVeronica is practicing cultural relativism.
- cVeronica is in culture shock.
- dVeronica is engaged in ethnocentrism.
10) Which of the following is an example of nonmaterial culture?
- ba house
- can mp3
11) An assertion about the nature of reality is referred to as a _________________.
12) Shared ideas about what is socially undesirable, funny or not funny, happy, or sad are called ________.
13) Based on a 2005 Roper Poll, the top ranked value in America was ________.
- bhealth and fitness
- cprotecting the family
14) Sociologists use this term to describe people who live in a specific geographic territory, interact with one another, and share many elements of a common culture.
15) Using “he” as a generic pronoun leads people to believe that only men can do things. This statement reflects which concept?
- asociological imagination
- bSapir-Whorf hypothesis
- cThomas theorem
- dMarx-Weber hypothesis
16) When global commodities such as Hollywood, Coke, or Disney are found around the world but imbued with local meanings, this is called ______________.
17) Tastes and creations, such as quilting and graffiti, used by working-class and minority groups to distinguish themselves from others in the social hierarchy are called ________.
- apopular culture
- bfolk culture
- creal culture
- dideal culture
18) According to sociologists, what does not determine human behaviors?
- aHuman behaviors are taught in school and by the family.
- bHuman behaviors are taught and passed from one generation to the next.
- cHuman behaviors are learned and culturally patterned within groups.
- dHuman behaviors are naturally acquired and do not have to be taught.
19) Which of the following is NOT an example of a core U.S. value?
- awork and leisure
- cprogress and technology
- danimal rights and environmentalism
20) The practice of using child labor in Pakistan or Zimbabwe is an example of a cultural practice not worthy of respect. Defending these policies is an example of ________.
- aculture shock
- bcultural relativism
- csociocultural evolution
- dthe relativist fallacy