1) _________________ recognizes global development as a process in which advanced industrial nations and technology help poor nations advance.
- aWorld system theory
- bDependency theory
- cFeminist theory
- dModernization theory
2) According to the world system theory, nations such as ____________________ are called ______________ and are moving towards industrialization and a diversified economy.
- aEthiopia and Argentina; semiperiphery
- bSaudi Arabia and Brazil; semiperiphery
- cSaudi Arabia and Brazil; periphery
- dEthiopia and Argentina; semiperiphery
3) Using dependency theory, what form of dependency exists when corporations establish factories in the Southern Hemisphere to take advantage of cheap labor, gain access to local markets, gain tax advantages, and circumvent environmental and other government regulations in their home countries?
- atrade dependency
- binvestment dependency
- cindustrial dependency
- dcapitalism dependency
4) Wealthy nations use foreign aid, weapons and military assistance, and educational grants to cultivate alliances and _________________ relations.
5) Based on the income model, what are the classifications of Bangladesh and Pakistan?
- aPakistan is a high-income nation; Bangladesh is a low-income nation.
- bBoth nations are low-income nations.
- cBoth nations are middle-income nations.
- dBangladesh is middle-income; Pakistan is low-income.
6) Which phrase most closely describes transnational corporations?
- acompanies that sell products all over the world
- bcompanies that are acknowledged by the World Bank
- ccorporations that own companies and search for profits all over the globe
- dcorporations that are based in nations belonging to the Group of Eight
7) Approximately how many nations are there in the world today?
- aa little more than 200
- bmore than 300
- dabout 80
8) What is the formula used by the United Nations’ Development Program to determine the rank of nations?
- athe crude birth rate minus the crude death rate plus net migration
- bannual average income plus level of education minus the infant mortality rate
- cthe nation’s annual gross domestic product divided by the nation’s total population
- dthe nation’s gross national product times total population divided by its currency’s inflation rate
9) Sub-Saharan Africa accounts for the greatest number of _______________ cases.
10) The global _________________ refers to the new international division of labor whereby corporations have broken down the process of production into various work operations, which are then located wherever goods and labor are cheapest.
- aassembly line
- ddevelopment chain
11) Which topic regarding global stratification is a feminist theorist MOST likely to study?
- aproperty rights
- bwage inequality
- cdomestic labor
- dall of the answers
12) Which of the following theories of global stratification is based on a conflict approach?
- afeminist theory
- bdependency theory
- cworld system theory
- dmodernization theory
13) With which sociological perspective is modernization theory most aligned?
- athe functionalist approach
- bthe conflict approach
- cthe feminist approach
- dthe symbolic interactionist approach
14) The fact that developing countries account for 85 percent of the world’s population but only make up 20 percent of the world’s Internet users is referred to as ____________.
- athe global digital divide
- bthe global technology divide
- cthe have-nots digital divide
- da stratified Internet
15) Which concept refers to ranking nations hierarchically based on their access to the world’s wealth, power, and prestige?
- aworld system theory
- bdependency theory
- cglobal stratification
16) Oil-rich nations such as Kuwait and Saudi Arabia are considered _________.
17) Colonialism refers to an economic and political system in which
- apowerful nations dominate and exploit weaker ones in trade and other relations.
- bweaker nations look to powerful nations for guidance.
- cpowerful nations treat weaker ones fairly in trade and other relations.
- dweaker nations dominate through terrorist activity.
18) In the Three Worlds model, which qualities best describe Second World nations?
- asocialistic, agribusiness, heavily populated
- bsocialist or communist
- cheavily populated, communistic, socialist economy
- dsocialist democracies, agricultural, poor
19) The functionalist perspective emphasizes that poor nations are poor ____________.
- abecause they are unwilling to accept capitalism as their market system
- bdue to internal conflict
- cdue to greediness on the part of high-income nations
- ddue to some sort of national “deficiency”
20) Malnutrition causes
- agirls in poor nations to be 50 times more likely to become pregnant before age 15 compared to girls in rich countries.
- bchildren in poor nations to be 10 times more likely to die before the age of ten compared to children in rich countries.
- cchildren in poor nations to be 50 times more likely to die before the age of five compared to children in rich countries.
- dboys in poor nations to be 50 times more likely to become child soldiers.