1) What is one consequence of the separation of religion and state?
- ahighly regulated religion
- bfew religious denominations
- cenhanced religious diversity
- dlimited religious rituals
2) For more than 30 years, scholars have documented a shift in the kinds of religious traditions that Americans prefer, a major change involving:
- ashifts between different wings of Protestantism
- ba rise in traditional Catholicism
- ca 35% increase among weekly churchgoing Americans
- da decrease in education among the highly religious
3) Which phrase best represents the concept of secularization?
- achanges in religion as society develops
- bchanges in technology as religion develops
- cchanges in society as technology develops
- dchanges in government as religion develops
4) Which term is used by scholars to describe religious differences between the West and the Middle East?
- aClash of the Ideologies
- bCrisis of Conscience
- cConflict of Civilizations
- dCrisis of Partisanship
5) "Sheilahism" has been defined as:
- acontemporary sermons talking of God's forgiving nature and less about God's punishing nature
- bthe idea that American religion has become more "secular" than sacred
- can approach reducing religious doctrine to "a small voice within" individuals’ imaginations
- d"old time" religion among people with the least exposure to modernization
6) What is the “religion of the modern age”?
- aexcluding religious perspectives as inconsistent with science
- bincorporating religious perspectives into educational institutions
- cincorporating technological viewpoints into religious perspectives
- dexcluding legal viewpoints as inconsistent with religious perspectives
7) In Karl Marx's view, a society built on exploitation could not long endure because
- athe sources of wealth had been monopolized by the few at the expense of the many.
- bthe human conquest of nature resulted in economic benefit to the many.
- creligion appealed most strongly to oppressed peoples because of its benefits.
- dthe oppressed majority would recognize their condition was caused by the powerful few.
8) Which of the following statements is supported by Figure 1.2?
- aA higher percentage of churchgoers attend church once per week compared with the percentage of churchgoers who seldom attend church.
- bA higher percentage of churchgoers seldom attend church compared with the percentage of persons who never attend church.
- cA smaller percentage of churchgoers attend church more than once a week compared with the percentage of churchgoers who attend church a few times a year.
- dA smaller percentage of churchgoers attend church once or twice per month compared with the percentage of churchgoers who seldom attend church.
9) Using Figure 1.1, how would one describe the United States in terms of the relationship between religion and the economy?
- ahigh religious importance, high economic development
- bhigh religious importance, low economic development
- clow religious importance, high economic development
- dlow religious importance, low economic development
10) How has secularization changed our understanding of religion?
- aIt has fostered increased membership in organized religion.
- bIt has fostered increased individualized spirituality.
- cIt has contributed to voter turnout based on religious identity.
- dIt has contributed to party identification based on individual spirituality.