1) According to Peter McDonough, some issues have the “capacity to threaten identities, jeopardize worldviews and galvanize intense minorities.” How does McDonough characterize these issues?
- aThese issues are charged with “symbolic freight.”
- bThese issues are burdened by “religious conflict.”
- cThese issues are subject to intense scrutiny.
- dThese issues are concerned with religious intensity.
2) Members of which group perceive the government as a tool of a satanic conspiracy?
- aChristian Coalition
- bChristian Identity
- cOrthodox Gathering
- dOrthodox Commitment
3) What label has been used to represent individuals who believe in white ethnonationalism, racism, and anti-Semitism?
- aChristian Brotherhood
- cCommunities of Concern
- dOrthodox Collaborators
4) A study published by Stouffer in 1966 indicated that low levels of support for basic civil liberties are associated with ________.
- ahigh levels of attachment to religion
- bno attachment to religion
- ca general attachment to religion
- dlow levels of attachment with religion
5) According to Neuhaus, religion supplies a counterweight to the greatest threat faced by democracy. Identify this threat.
6) What was the consequence for the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) when it supported the rights of members of a Nazi organization to march in Skokie, Illinois when local authorities tried to block the march?
- amembership in the ACLU increased
- bfinancial support for the ACLU increased
- cboth membership and financial support for the ACLU increased
- dmembership and financial support for the ACLU declined
7) What do the authors see as one consequence for politically charged religious issues for which there is no compromise?
- athe inability to compromise may breed support for apathy
- bthe inability to compromise may promote hyperpartisanship
- cthe inability to compromise may promote partisan protest
- dthe inability to compromise may breed support for extremist action
8) According to social scientists, what is the link between religious belief and antidemocratic orientation?
- aThe more intense the religious belief, the weaker the antidemocratic orientation.
- bThere is a weak link between religious belief and antidemocratic orientation.
- cThe more intense the religious belief, the stronger the antidemocratic orientation.
- dThe less intense the religious belief, the stronger the antidemocratic orientation.
9) Martin Luther King Jr.'s civil rights rhetoric tapped into core American values that Thomas Jefferson called _____.
- aself-evident truths
- breligious metaphors
- cmoral pluralism
- dreligious convictions
10) Which conclusion do the authors make about the relationship between religious values and politics?
- aThe relationship is effective.
- bThe relationship is problematic.
- cThe relationship is static.
- dThe relationship is ambiguous.