1) What was the consequence for the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) when it supported the rights of members of a Nazi organization to march in Skokie, Illinois when local authorities tried to block the march?
- amembership in the ACLU increased
- bfinancial support for the ACLU increased
- cboth membership and financial support for the ACLU increased
- dmembership and financial support for the ACLU declined
2) A study published by Stouffer in 1966 indicated that low levels of support for basic civil liberties are associated with ________.
- ahigh levels of attachment to religion
- bno attachment to religion
- ca general attachment to religion
- dlow levels of attachment with religion
3) What do the authors see as one consequence for politically charged religious issues for which there is no compromise?
- athe inability to compromise may breed support for apathy
- bthe inability to compromise may promote hyperpartisanship
- cthe inability to compromise may promote partisan protest
- dthe inability to compromise may breed support for extremist action
4) Members of which group perceive the government as a tool of a satanic conspiracy?
- aChristian Coalition
- bChristian Identity
- cOrthodox Gathering
- dOrthodox Commitment
5) What label has been used to represent individuals who believe in white ethnonationalism, racism, and anti-Semitism?
- aChristian Brotherhood
- cCommunities of Concern
- dOrthodox Collaborators
6) According to social scientists, what is the link between religious belief and antidemocratic orientation?
- aThe more intense the religious belief, the weaker the antidemocratic orientation.
- bThere is a weak link between religious belief and antidemocratic orientation.
- cThe more intense the religious belief, the stronger the antidemocratic orientation.
- dThe less intense the religious belief, the stronger the antidemocratic orientation.
7) Martin Luther King Jr.'s civil rights rhetoric tapped into core American values that Thomas Jefferson called _____.
- aself-evident truths
- breligious metaphors
- cmoral pluralism
- dreligious convictions
8) According to Peter McDonough, some issues have the “capacity to threaten identities, jeopardize worldviews and galvanize intense minorities.” How does McDonough characterize these issues?
- aThese issues are charged with “symbolic freight.”
- bThese issues are burdened by “religious conflict.”
- cThese issues are subject to intense scrutiny.
- dThese issues are concerned with religious intensity.
9) According to Neuhaus, religion supplies a counterweight to the greatest threat faced by democracy. Identify this threat.
10) Which conclusion do the authors make about the relationship between religious values and politics?
- aThe relationship is effective.
- bThe relationship is problematic.
- cThe relationship is static.
- dThe relationship is ambiguous.