1) Presidents expressing “Merry Christmas” versus “Season’s Greetings” or “Happy Holidays” is supported by evangelicals because:
- ait represents presidents giving Christianity cultural preeminence
- bit represents presidents encouraging cultural diversity
- cit diminishes the role of Congress shaping religious law
- dit diminishes the role of the courts shaping religious law
2) Which option describes a primary way that the Christian Broadcasting Network’s 700 Club has achieved political impact?
- aIt has exposed religious conservatives to news through a conservative religious lens.
- bIt has played an active role raising money for political candidates.
- cIt has exposed religious liberals to political corruption in Washington, DC.
- dIt has played an active role hosting fundraisers for political candidates and broadcasting those fundraisers.
3) Survey experiments show that identifying candidates as evangelical increases support among which political group?
4) Which viewpoint explains Lutherans’ political conservatism?
- aBecause true happiness comes after death, undesirable conditions should be endured.
- bTrue happiness comes from performing acts of charity.
- cBecause true salvation comes after death, acts of charity must be performed.
- dTrue salvation comes from enduring undesirable earthly conditions.
5) Which methods do religious groups use to offer group identity and issue framing?
- atelevision advertising
- bsocial media
- creligious services
- dcharitable work
6) As of 2017, what proportion of Americans responded to a poll that churches should not endorse candidates?
- aless than half
- babout two-thirds
- cmore than three-fourths
- dless than one-fourth
7) Which option represents the first steps for religious interest groups, as with other political groups, to begin the policy process?
- aarticulation, aggregation
- bendorsements, campaign contributions
- carticulation, campaign contributions
- dendorsements, aggregation
8) Which term has been defined as a cleavage in American politics between the religiously observant and the religiously nonobservant?
- athe schism of tradition
- ba battle of values
- cthe culture war
- dthe schism of beliefs
9) Why do parishioners tend to follow their pastor’s political messages?
- aThey fear retribution if they do not.
- bThey are more credible than messages from other sources.
- cThey commit to doing so when joining their churches.
- dThey are more ideological than messages from other sources.
10) Members of which religious tradition have the highest percentage of persons with a college education?
- cRoman Catholic
- dEvangelical Protestant