1) Which doctrine is viewed as a threat by those who ascribe to orthodox Christian values?
- asecular humanism
- ccultural relativism
2) How have Bill Moyers and former President Jimmy Carter characterized the Christian Right?
- aThe Christian Right has respected American life.
- bThe Christian Right has captured American life.
- cThe Christian Right has withdrawn from American life.
- dThe Christian Right has supported American Life.
3) Up until the 1920s, evangelical Protestantism was a force that affected American political life which contributed to:
- athe growth of anti-slavery sentiment in the northern states before the Civil War
- bthe growth of pro-slavery sentiment in the southern states after the Civil War
- cthe growth of anti-slavery sentiment in the southern states before the Civil War
- dthe growth of pro-slavery sentiment in the northern states before the Civil War
4) Which federal programs have been criticized by evangelicals?
- aDefense spending and welfare benefits
- bDefense spending and foreign aid to Israel
- cMedicaid and foreign aid to Israel
- dMedicaid and welfare benefits
5) How has the Republican National Committee granted symbolic recognition to the Christian Right?
- aby nominating Vice President George H.W. Bush for president
- bby including an anti-Equal Rights Amendment plank in its platform
- cby including language opposing prayer in school in its platform
- dby nominating Governor Jimmy Carter for president
6) What has been one federal policy impact by the Christian Right?
- asheltering evangelical Christian schools from regulation
- bsecuring funding for abortions in cases of rape or incest only
- censuring that evangelical Christians are not drafted
- denhancing funding for public universities
7) According to Table 8.2, in the 1990s, three-fourths of the public claimed that:
- aGod is a heavenly father who can be reached by prayers
- bindividuals must determine what is right or wrong
- cGod is the moral guiding force of American democracy
- dindividual freedom is critical to democracy in this country
8) Which action by President George W. Bush was opposed by Christian conservatives?
- asupport for teaching “intelligent design”
- bWhite House staff appointments
- ca U.S. Supreme Court appointment
- dlimited funding for stem cell research
9) How did the Christian Coalition frame its support for school subsidies for religious schools?
- aeducational alternatives
- beducational principles
- cschool choice
- dschool commitment
10) Which characterization describes the gap between Christian conservatives and non-evangelical Republicans?
- astrong similarity of views
- ba narrow gap
- cmostly the same
- da wide gap