1) What historical meeting changed the Catholic Church in America or otherwise gave official approval to developing trends?
- aThe Ecumenical Council (Vatican II)
- bthe meeting of the cardinals
- cthe Papal Conclave
- dthe sacred reunion of the minds
2) With which causes was the Catholic Church associated during the first half of the Twentieth Century?
- aopposition to communism
- bopposition to capitalism
- csupport for communism
- dsupport for capitalism
3) The strong conservatism demonstrated by American Catholics during Spellman's reign can be explained by:
- ahis suspicions of civil rights
- bhis concern about technology
- chis support for labor movements
- dhis opposition to military conflict
4) Which is one distinguishing characteristic between evangelical Protestants and mainline Protestants?
- aMainline Protestants are far more likely than evangelical Protestants to volunteer on behalf of social change organizations.
- bMainline Protestants are far less likely than evangelical Protestants to register for selective service.
- cMainline Protestants are far more likely than evangelical Protestants to support increased income taxes.
- dMainline Protestants are far less likely than evangelical Protestants to volunteer on behalf of gay rights.
5) Which of the following factors has played a central role in the split between evangelical Protestants and mainline Protestants?
- athe decline of the high school dropout rate
- bthe decline in divorce rates
- cthe rise of the gay rights movement
- dthe rise of the social gospel movement
6) According to Granberg, which characteristics represent a typical anti-abortion activist outside the south?
- aan older male labor union member
- ba young college graduate
- ca female attorney
- da woman with limited education
7) Which report was written for the purpose of supporting and funding anti-abortion congressional candidates in the wake of Roe v. Wade?
- a“Pastoral Commitment to Congressional Change”
- b“Catholic Congressional Manifesto”
- c“Pastoral Plan for Pro-Life Activities”
- d“Catholic Plan for Congressional Success”
8) According to a study conducted by Harold Quinley in the late 1960s, political activism among the clergy was focused around:
- aforeign aid
- bcivil rights
- ceducation spending
- dtaxation of churches
9) Why do scholars focus less attention on mainline Protestants and Catholics compared with evangelical Protestants?
- aThere is a lack of a crusading mentality among evangelical Protestants.
- bThere is a lack of a crusading mentality among mainline Protestants and Catholics.
- cThere is religious centrism among evangelical Protestants.
- dThere is religious extremism among mainline Protestants and Catholics.
10) In which issue have Catholic bishops invested more energy compared with other issues?
- bwomen’s rights
- cabortion rights
- dforeign aid